No Carers unless the person is on benefits

Options
sarah1972
sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
Long story short. 

My husband has oesophageal cancer and I have been caring for him through chemotherapy & radiotherapy and next is a minimum 10 hour operation, time in ICU and then he will need even more home care when he gets discharged from hospital. 

I find it absolutely ridiculous that you cannot claim carers allowance unless the person you are caring for is on benefits ??? He isn’t entitled to anything so that means neither am I . 

How many carers out there who get nothing because of this odd rule. 
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    Long story short. 

My husband has oesophageal cancer and I have been caring for him through chemotherapy & radiotherapy and next is a minimum 10 hour operation, time in ICU and then he will need even more home care when he gets discharged from hospital. 

I find it absolutely ridiculous that you cannot claim carers allowance unless the person you are caring for is on benefits ??? He isn’t entitled to anything so that means neither am I . 

He needs to apply for PIP, Personal Independence Payments, he will qualify as he has cancer. It's not means tested and you will be able to claim carers allowance 
  • sarah1972
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Long story short. 

He needs to apply for PIP, Personal Independence Payments, he will qualify as he has cancer. It's not means tested and you will be able to claim carers allowance 
    He got declined pip with zero points 😢 We applied in July and got turned down last month. It’s gone to independent review which takes another 2 months.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 October 2023 at 8:27AM
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Long story short. 

He got declined pip with zero points 😢 We applied in July and got turned down last month. It’s gone to independent review which takes another 2 months.
      So you applied for a mandatory reconsideration, many applications are turned over then or at appeal 

ETA...

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/impacts-of-cancer/benefits-and-financial-support/personal-independence-payment

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/impacts-of-cancer/benefits-and-financial-support/personal-independence-payment

• sarah1972
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Long story short. 

So you applied for a mandatory reconsideration, many applications are turned over then or at appeal 

ETA...

Yes, fingers crossed it gets turned over. Carers allowance isn’t backdated either so I can only apply ‘if’ we get PIP. 

MacMillan were awful, they just said you’re not entitled to anything but you can apply for pip if you want but I very much doubt you will get it and got me off the phone as quick as they could. 
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Long story short. 

He's only automatically entitled to pip if his death can be reasonably expected within 12 months. For those with non terminal cancer, his needs need to have lasted for 3 months and expect to last another 9.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • sarah1972
    Options
    Indie_Kid said:
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Long story short. 

He's only automatically entitled to pip if his death can be reasonably expected within 12 months. For those with non terminal cancer, his needs need to have lasted for 3 months and expect to last another 9.
    It’s not terminal but we applied 3 months after diagnosis and we sent a consultants letter saying it will continue for at least another 12 months. He is having a 10 hour operation in 2 weeks and then ICU followed by 6 month’s rehabilitation followed by 12 months of immunotherapy 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Long story short. 

ETA...

Yes, fingers crossed it gets turned over. Carers allowance isn’t backdated either so I can only apply ‘if’ we get PIP. 
    The good news for you is CA can be backdated, either by three months or to the date of the PIP claim (i.e. the date you/your husband phoned to start the PIP claim), if that's taken more than 3 months :)
  • sarah1972
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Long story short. 

ETA...

The good news for you is CA can be backdated, either by three months or to the date of the PIP claim (i.e. the date you/your husband phoned to start the PIP claim), if that's taken more than 3 months :)
    I was told by them twice that it is never backdated more than 3 months regardless of pip claim date. I said but by the time pip is granted (although I doubt it ever will be) I will of been caring for him for over 6 months and they said that it’s just the way it is with no exceptions? 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    sarah1972 said:
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Long story short. 

ETA...

I was told by them twice that it is never backdated more than 3 months regardless of pip claim date. I said but by the time pip is granted (although I doubt it ever will be) I will of been caring for him for over 6 months and they said that it’s just the way it is with no exceptions? 
    Who told you that? 
    We backdated my Mum's by 7 months to the start of my PIP claim and I'm not aware of the rules having changed.
    Let's see … The wording on gov.uk is not completely unambiguous ("Your Carer’s Allowance can be backdated to the date PIP is awarded to the person you are caring for" - but the award date should mean the beginning of the claim, not the decision date) but AgeUK explicitly says it https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs55_carers_allowance_fcs.pdf
    "
    4.1 Backdating and advance claims
    CA can usually only be backdated for 3 months, so it is important to claim as soon as you think you might be entitled.
    If the person you care for has recently been awarded a qualifying benefit (see section 3.1), CA can be backdated to the start date of the qualifying benefit, even if this is more than three months ago. You must claim CA within three months of the start date of the qualifying benefit award"
  • sarah1972
    edited 5 October 2023 at 3:45PM
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    sarah1972 said:
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    marcia_ said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Long story short. 

ETA...

Who told you that? 
    We backdated my Mum's by 7 months to the start of my PIP claim and I'm not aware of the rules having changed.
    Let's see … The wording on gov.uk is not completely unambiguous ("Your Carer’s Allowance can be backdated to the date PIP is awarded to the person you are caring for" - but the award date should mean the beginning of the claim, not the decision date) but AgeUK explicitly says it https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs55_carers_allowance_fcs.pdf
    "4.1 Backdating and advance claims
    CA can usually only be backdated for 3 months, so it is important to claim as soon as you think you might be entitled.
    If the person you care for has recently been awarded a qualifying benefit (see section 3.1), CA can be backdated to the start date of the qualifying benefit, even if this is more than three months ago. You must claim CA within three months of the start date of the qualifying benefit award"
    I called the DWP carers line, they said it’s never from the start of a pip claim, it will only ever be from the date that pip is awarded. 

As it says from your post. ‘Backdated to the start of qualifying benefit’ which is the start date not application date apparently 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback