Ebay - scammed and left out of pocket, help.

unplayable
unplayable Posts: 17
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Bought a phone described as new/no scratches.  Phone was anything but.  Signs of heavy use, scratches all over.  Seller was baffled (which is bizarre!).
Applied for a return, item was returned.  Got a PARTIAL refund from eBay after raising a dispute, item received not as described.
I appealed this.  But mistakingly at the same time raised a dispute with Paypal.  Ebay then closed appeal since i had raised it with my payment provider....
Paypal then ruled i am ineligible for their payment protection because "buyer protection only covers items described signficicantly not as described...

can anyone help?  there seems to be no way i can appeal this again with ebay and no way to contact them.  so upsetting. Trying to contact them but dont have much hope.  Essentially I paid for something, returned it instantly...for a partial refund.  Bizarre. Left £50+ out of pocket.

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Now that you've done a chargeback with the payment provider eBay will close their normal buyer protection process and only deal with it as a chargeback.
  • jon81uk said:
    Now that you've done a chargeback with the payment provider eBay will close their normal buyer protection process and only deal with it as a chargeback.
    Load of nonsense. My mistake was to appeal ebays decision whilst raising with Paypal. They have credited me in form of a voucher / £ off next purchase. Still poor. The seller benefits as sold at full price. Partial refund and will sell his item again despite blatant lies.  Bizarre.
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Bought a phone described as new/no scratches.  Phone was anything but.  Signs of heavy use, scratches all over.  Seller was baffled (which is bizarre!).
    Applied for a return, item was returned.  Got a PARTIAL refund from eBay after raising a dispute, item received not as described.
    I appealed this.  But mistakingly at the same time raised a dispute with Paypal.  Ebay then closed appeal since i had raised it with my payment provider....
    Paypal then ruled i am ineligible for their payment protection because "buyer protection only covers items described signficicantly not as described...

can anyone help?  there seems to be no way i can appeal this again with ebay and no way to contact them.  so upsetting. Trying to contact them but dont have much hope.  Essentially I paid for something, returned it instantly...for a partial refund.  Bizarre. Left £50+ out of pocket.
    Are you saying that you raised a dispute with Ebay and they awarded you a partial refund? I've never heard of that - surely partial refunds are only when you keep the item in question??? I've never seen any option to accept a return and issue a partial refund?
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jon81uk said:
    Load of nonsense. My mistake was to appeal ebays decision whilst raising with Paypal. They have credited me in form of a voucher / £ off next purchase. Still poor. The seller benefits as sold at full price. Partial refund and will sell his item again despite blatant lies.  Bizarre.
    Its not nonsense, soon as you decide to pursue a claim with the payment provider you will no longer get the money back guarentee with eBay. Never do a chargeback on eBay until you've fully appealled the eBay case.
    eBay Money Back Guarantee policy
  • For people confused by the partial refund, eBay grant some sellers the option to issue a partial refund when an item is returned in a significantly worse condition that it was sent out.  According to them, they only offer this option to sellers in good standing who have a good track record etc etc. Given the circumstances of the sellers' response I wonder if it's possible that the seller genuinely sent the item out in new condition and the packaging was opened/damaged during transit? A seller abusing this process won't be able to keep doing so, if you use the partial refund option too frequently eBay will take it off you. At least, that's what I was told a few years ago by customer services.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback