🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Premium Bonds

Options
Hi, What do Forumites think when purchasing Bonds. Say you want £15000. do you think you'd have a better chance buying 3 X £5000. or one block of £15000?
I'd be interested in your views.

Comments

• Eirambler
    Eirambler Posts: 147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't see how it would make any difference, either way it's £15,000 surely? After that it's just the luck of the draw.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It makes no difference buying one large block or multiple smaller ones....
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When I first bought some 18 months ago, I opted for smaller batches, not wanting all my numbers bunched together.  My head said it probably shouldn't make any difference, but there was no harm spreading them out over a couple of weeks (EA interest rates were much lower than they are now).

After cashing £30k in for fixes, I now have 2 batches each of £10k and 1 of £2k bought more recently - that latter batch hasn't had any winners at all yet.  The winners have come pretty evenly from the 2 main batches (7 winners of £550 and 8 winners of £475) - two winners in August were only a few numbers apart.  So my tiny straw poll suggests that it probably doesn't actually make any difference.
  • Sg28
    Sg28 Posts: 389 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It 100% makes no difference at all. It would be mathematically impossible for it to be any other way. 

(Unless you believe the conspiracy theories its rigged)
    Ex Sg27 (long forgotten log in details)

Massive thank you to those on the long since defunct Matched Betting board.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are those who cash in old bonds to get a single block of bigger bonds. Maybe they prefer to check numbers manually and it's easier to remember a single range?

It makes no difference at all, but its psychological. A bigger single range would appear to give more chance of them being in that range and less chance of narrowly missing out. I'm surprised there isn't an app that shows near misses (ala lottery), as whilst missing by 1 is the same as missing by decades people feel the thrill of the "almost won".

There is the conspiracy that newer bonds win more often. so cashing in and buying a bigger new bond falls to that mindset.
  • Sg28
    Sg28 Posts: 389 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    nic_c said:
    There are those who cash in old bonds to get a single block of bigger bonds. Maybe they prefer to check numbers manually and it's easier to remember a single range?

It makes no difference at all, but its psychological. A bigger single range would appear to give more chance of them being in that range and less chance of narrowly missing out. I'm surprised there isn't an app that shows near misses (ala lottery), as whilst missing by 1 is the same as missing by decades people feel the thrill of the "almost won".

There is the conspiracy that newer bonds win more often. so cashing in and buying a bigger new bond falls to that mindset.
    The "almost won" thrill is how lotteries and slot machines use weaknesses in human psychology to get people addicted. The colourful graphical representations of the RNG in slot machines will regularly show a near win, just to keep you playing. 

Ex Sg27 (long forgotten log in details)

Massive thank you to those on the long since defunct Matched Betting board.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure