Have you turned your heating on?

Options
As we creep into winter and energy bills remain extortionately high for many, we want to know if you've turned on your heating yet or whether you've decided to hold out for a little longer because of the high costs...

Let us know in this week's poll

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Heating is set via Hive APP. So if it's cold enough it will kick in. 
    Which it has done several times in the last couple of weeks in the early morning.

TBH. Would rather be warm when required.

You need a options for controlled by thermostat. 
    Life in the slow lane
  • oldernonethewiser
    Options
    Nothing to do with cost, just haven't needed any heating on so far.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,902 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Nothing to do with cost, just haven't needed any heating on so far.
    This... it's just not been cold enough yet and the forecast suggests it won't be for a while. Still sitting around in a long-sleeved t-shirt...
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• ginger_chocolate
    Options
    Where's the option for "I haven't turned it on because it's only October and I still barely even need a coat when I go outside."
  • cassie75
    cassie75 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My parents has had no gas or electric on for 3 months because of very damp problems in the gardens that back onto their gable wall which has come through and fried the electrics. They are not living there, they have had to move out until the problem has been sorted next door, currently with solicitors so could be a while. But it has still cost them over £65 already even though they have not used ANY energy at all. How can this be fair?
  • G6JPG
    G6JPG Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with those saying you need a "controlled by thermostat" option: I see this question every year (well twice, as there's also "have you turned your heating off yet" in the spring. I haven't turned mine on _or_ off for as long as I can remember.
  • Bellisima
    Bellisima Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve put a cardigan on and we use our heated throw in the evening when chilly (very cheap to run) but we just don’t feel it’s cold enough for the heating to be switched on, but we are in the SE.   I cannot bear a hot stuffy house.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Am really surprised people still put heating on and off.  I have thermostats on all my radiators so never have to put it on or turn it off.  Radiators are on just now as it’s cold and wet and temp indoors has gone under 18 degrees . I stay in one of the coldest most beautiful parts of Scotland, the coal fire will be light tonight.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,930 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Need an option for it's not cold (enough). That's the reason mine isn't on, not because of the cost.

Having some beautiful hot days, warm days / evenings and rainy days / evenings in Scotland.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • kags
    kags Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As others have said, a blanket on or off doesn’t cover it.  With underfloor heating controlled separately in each room by thermostat, there were odd chilly evenings even during the “summer” when we had it on low in the sitting room (even after putting extra layers on) … and now it’s getting warmer for a few days, I don’t expect to have to do so at the moment.
    We’re both not as young as we were, and have long-term conditions either exacerbated by the cold, or where we feel the cold more … so despite the expense we refuse to be cold (and yes, we’re lucky financially to be able to make that choice … but we do economise elsewhere where we can)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback