Brand new Peugeot - Misaligned Bonnet - Resultant Damage to Paintwork

CoastingHatbox
CoastingHatbox Posts: 517
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 2 October 2023 at 5:24PM in Motoring
Last week I bought a brand new Peugeot Partner van. I am a private buyer so it is not a commercial transaction - Consumer Rights Act applies.

I washed it at the weekend on account the roof was covered in and the seams were full of grime. Additionally, there were yellow wax spots still dotted all over the vehicle. No big deal, save to say I was paying a lot of attention to each and every panel. The vehicle was absolutely unmarked and blemish free.

At the final step in cleaning the bodywork, I lifted the bonnet to remove the grime that had accumulated behind the front grill. Closed the bonnet. Immediately noticed a paint chip (down to the metal) on the front corner of the off side wing immediately below the leading edge of the bonnet. The chip was not there prior.

I had noticed after taking delivery of the vehicle that the panel gaps/shutlines on the bonnet were uneven. On the near side the gap between the bonnet and the top of the wing is fairly wide. On the off side, it's very narrow. The bonnet is misaligned. At this point I'd been in attendance of the vehicle the entire time, having stopped at motorway services en route from the dealer down to my company's head office. Thus, I know that the misalignment is not the result of it receiving a knock in a car park, for instance.

This is partially why the leading edge of the bonnet has contacted and damaged the paintwork on the off side wing. Further inspection revealed a sharp protusion on the leading off side edge of the bonnet, which is obviously what has contacted and damaged the wing's paint work.

I contacted the dealer first thing this morning to advise them and ask about next steps. I was offered a call back. Of course, I haven't heard anythng as yet. They've been like this at every step of the sale - I have had to chase them for everything. I didn't get the registration number in order to insure it until lunch time on the day before.

I've followed up this afternoon - unanswered phone calls - so I've sent them a polite email, explaining I want the bonnet re-aligned and the damage repaired.

Sadly I bought the vehicle with cash - so there's no finance company to lean on.

I'm very dismayed with the customer service - it's been far more stressful than it should have been.

How long should I give the dealership before I exercise my consumer rights and reject the vehicle?
A dream is not reality, but who's to say which is which?

Comments

• caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,106
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am not sure buying it cash as a private individual prevents it being a B 2 B sale, can I enquire as to the reason you want a brand new van ? I am sure others will be along to assist further but I believe this to be relevant in ascertaining whether the vehicle is truly not a B2B transaction.
  • caprikid1 said:
    I am not sure buying it cash as a private individual prevents it being a B 2 B sale, can I enquire as to the reason you want a brand new van ? I am sure others will be along to assist further but I believe this to be relevant in ascertaining whether the vehicle is truly not a B2B transaction.

I am not a business. I'm a private individual. I bought the van in the capacity of a private individual. I made this clear to the dealer when I first enquired as a prospective customer.
    A dream is not reality, but who's to say which is which?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,845
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you have home insurance, check to see if you have Legal Expense cover. If you do, call the Legal Helpline tomorrow and ask them for advice. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,090
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    It sounds like it didn't get a Pre Delivery Inspection, I assume vans get them as well as cars. If you don't get any help from the dealer maybe try Peugeot.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback