Expedia Not Providing What Booked

Booked a specific room type in a hotel through Expedia. Got there, different room and wasn't even with the hotel. It was up a hill, down a hill and stairs. Wasn't mentioned that the rooms might not be at the actual site of hotel. Our room type was at the hotel itself, but they said they had none of those rooms available and that Expedia do not know what they have as only the hotel do. The room had no WiFi as stated as was far too far away. It was not suitable and we wouldn't have booked it. 
Spent the first day of hol waiting for hotel to sort it out. After getting upset, was told they'd rejig their bookings for us so we could have the room we'd booked but only 2 days after we had checked in (we were there a week). I had been on chat to Expedia, they tried to call the hotel, they didn't answer so Expedia said weren't trying again and here's a £75 coupon to compensate (I didn't want or ask for this).
It totally ruined the first half of our hol. 
Got home, been onto Expedia and they are saying if the hotels provides some partial refund then they will to us. 
I have explained that my contract is with them. I paid them for something they didn't provide. It is nothing to do with me what they and the hotel sort out. 
They said nothing they can do .
So, is my only option to try with the credit card I paid Expedia on? What sort of proof do I need? I could screenshot specific parts of the chat to show as they do state the problem in parts.
TIA

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Which hotel is it that you're referring to?

Is your complaint that the room you were allocated wasn't in the main building, and didn't have wifi because of that, or was it actually a different type in another sense?

How does the £75 compare with your expectations, and if insufficient, what are you hoping for?
  • Kor65
    Kor65 Posts: 20
    First Post
    Forumite
    I’m going through a section 75 at the moment
    With a villa, we booked through James Villa’s
    I’ve just contacted the credit card company after not hearing back after a month about the
    Case
    they have said that they will definitely look into this.  We have provided all the emails pictures and videos. We was able to do a screenshot of the emails. Which on an Apple device, you can save the whole chain hopefully you can do something similar. 

There is a real consumer rights issue going on with these companies and the way they are using the terms and conditions.

The third-party booking websites are literally acting with impunity. 

Good luck with the case

• eskbanker said:
    Which hotel is it that you're referring to?

Is your complaint that the room you were allocated wasn't in the main building, and didn't have wifi because of that, or was it actually a different type in another sense?

How does the £75 compare with your expectations, and if insufficient, what are you hoping for?
    Hi, we booked a modern studio overlooking the pool. The room we got wasn't suitable as I have to remove things before I eat and drink. With the room not being on site, I was trekking backwards and forwards to clean my teeth etc. The WiFi was issue as hubbie couldn't connect to work. And the room was dated and something we wouldn't have booked. 
    It just ruins it. I asked them for 2 nights refund as they didn't provide what we'd paid for. That would equate to about £150.
    We only got it then because we sorted it out ourself.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    So Expedia have effectively offered you a 50% refund for the two nights you stayed in the inferior room?

I'm not sure that you'd secure anything better via your card company - based on your description, it's certainly not clear cut that you'd be entitled to a full refund for those nights.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,291
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Indeed you had use of a room. linens etc and facilities so you need to pay for that. So a percentage back is reasonable.
    The only way you could perhaps have got a larger refund was to move out somewhere else. But then you'd have had to pay for that.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure