I cannot receive emails from a Continental Europe sender.

Mistral001
Mistral001 Posts: 5,346
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 2 October 2023 at 9:57AM in Techie Stuff
Someone from Germany sent me two emails last week which I did not receive.  They rang me wondering why I did not reply to them.  They said that they were certain they were using the correct email address. This was confirmed as, while they were on the phone, I sent them an email which they received a few seconds after I sent it.  They then replied to it, but I did not get the reply. 
I sent them another message using an old email address I rarely use now, and when they replied to it, I received the email without any problems. 
I want to get to the bottom of the problem with sending messages to my first email address from this person.  I do not have any problems with receiving emails from anybody else.  I have checked all my folders including the span folder and I was told by the sender they did not receive any error messages when they sent the messages which went wayward.  Their email address is a gmail private address, so it is unlikely that I have blocked it as spam in the past. Any ideas what the problem is?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 8,995
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Their physical location is irrelevant, particularly if you say they are sending from Gmail. 

Have you spoken to your email server provider? Do they do any spam filtering before mails hit your inbox?
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,256
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What email provider are you using? I have occasionally had problems receiving emails to my Fasthosts address for a short time from particular addresses (I think gmail may have been one of them) but the problem was documented on the Fasthosts support site and updated until the issue was resolved, so checking with your email provider may be a good start.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,346
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks for all the answers.  The problem was that I had inadvertently blocked the whole gmail domain when blocking a scammer instead of just blocking the scammer's email address.  I just had to go into settings, then blocked list and take gmail off the the list.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback