energy price cap

samuela66
samuela66 Posts: 1,200
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi

I dont know if I understand the energy price cap properly, does it mean that they cannot charge me more per year that the 1900, no matter how much I use....I am confused .

thanks
sam
Sam B

Comments

• No. It is a cap on the unit price (kWh) and the daily/standing charge. The more you use the more you will pay.
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,113
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Community Admin
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to [email protected]
  • Is there some reason the media insists on keep given out average usages figures in their headlines and articles, instead of the much more accurate and relevant unit prices? As we see, it only confuses people.
  • Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,096
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The media don't understand it either.
  • Bungle73 said:
    Is there some reason the media insists on keep given out average usages figures in their headlines and articles, instead of the much more accurate and relevant unit prices? As we see, it only confuses people.
    Most (maybe a higher percentage in more recent times) people don't take an interest in their energy consumption (until it hits them in the pocket) and don't know what a kWh is. They don't understand the bill, apart from the bottom line. It is a similar phenomenon to people thinking that a quoted direct debit payment will cover their consumption.

To be fair, the media are getting a bit better about quoting the actual prices, but the mythical "average cost" is a handy shorthand for headlines.
  • Bungle73
    Bungle73 Posts: 20
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 September 2023 at 2:14PM
    Bungle73 said:
    Is there some reason the media insists on keep given out average usages figures in their headlines and articles, instead of the much more accurate and relevant unit prices? As we see, it only confuses people.
    Most (maybe a higher percentage in more recent times) people don't take an interest in their energy consumption (until it hits them in the pocket) and don't know what a kWh is. They don't understand the bill, apart from the bottom line. It is a similar phenomenon to people thinking that a quoted direct debit payment will cover their consumption.

To be fair, the media are getting a bit better about quoting the actual prices, but the mythical "average cost" is a handy shorthand for headlines.
    I got taught about KWh and reading household energy meters at school. This was in the 1980s, so a while ago. The National Curriculum was just coming in as I left, so I've no idea if it's included in that. It should be.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,659
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Regional variances in the standing charge and kWh don't help in explaining it either as the numbers will only be recognised by a few against their bills.

The media do seem to be getting better at reminding people that it is not a total cost cap and if you use more than the average you will pay more.

Explaining the fixed cost (standing charge) and variable charge (kWh unit rate) in 20 seconds is much harder than the average cost, so the latter is used.
  • I often wonder what the IQ is for the average journalist🫨
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • 400ixl said:
    Regional variances in the standing charge and kWh don't help in explaining it either as the numbers will only be recognised by a few against their bills.

The media do seem to be getting better at reminding people that it is not a total cost cap and if you use more than the average you will pay more.

Explaining the fixed cost (standing charge) and variable charge (kWh unit rate) in 20 seconds is much harder than the average cost, so the latter is used.
    In fairness, when reporting tariff changes, some form of assumption has to be made. I am not sure that a comparison using standing charges and unit prices would be a better option when this forum is littered with posts from people who think that the monthly DD payment is their actual bill.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,191
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 25 October 2023 at 8:41PM
    400ixl said:

In fairness, when reporting tariff changes, some form of assumption has to be made. I am not sure that a comparison using standing charges and unit prices would be a better option when this forum is littered with posts from people who think that the monthly DD payment is their actual bill.
    We already get posts not understanding that the average unit rate and standing charge quoted is a theoretical average - especially when they're in a region with one of the higher standing charges.  I can only imagine the extra work for suppliers if the media used those average figures and people noticed their unit rate and/or SC was higher; the CS teams would be tied up fielding all the complaints (and likely being abused with rants about greedy suppliers lining their pockets at our expense).

Which is annoying, because the media being able to talk in average UR and SC would be much more meaningful than using the hypothetical dual fuel 'typical' household's annual bill.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback