How to RENT if he has an IVA??

Options
My daughter needs to rent a home with her partner and 2-year old child. Although she (as the main applicant) earns in excess of £40k and her fiancee gets about half of that - he is 1 year into a 5 year IVA. He has kept up those payments and they both have good credit ratings.
So far they have applied to estate agents for several properties and been refused on the grounds of his IVA. Even though we (as parents) are prepared to act as guarantors.
My question is "is it even possible to be accepted for a private rental property with an IVA?".
I am getting worried that they won't be accepted for the next 5 years!
Please give me (and them) some hope!

Comments

• LunaLater
    Options
    I’d not rent to anyone in this position, but it’s not possible to say how other landlords will view it.

Is there any need to have him on the tenancy? If not then his situation may not need to even come up.
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    Can I ask why on earth did he go for an IVA if he didn't have a mortgage?

I hope he didn't fall for an ad. on social media promising him the earth.

BTW If he has an IVA there is no way he has a good credit rating.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,518 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I agree with that. You are probably saying that he has a good score but these are completely meaningless.

The situation is that he has declared himself insolvent, that is on his credit report and his creditors will be getting 10% back over many years.

His file will be affected for a minimum of 6 years and could be longer if the IVA takes longer to complete

I think the choices a for your daughter to rent in her name alone. Hopefully she has no joint financial product with him or her file will be affected too.

Or...go in with a substantial sum of rent up front. Some landlords will then be prepared to take the risk.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback