Want to try crochet

I'm a knitter at the moment taught by my Mum, but I'm interested in giving crochet a go and have seen these "beginner kits" on Amazon at what seems like a very cheap price. 
Has anyone used these and are they any good?  They seem to have everything you need to get started but I've read the reviews and they seem quite mixed.  As this is a new thing for me, I don't really want to spend a lot of money so would prefer to buy a basic, cheap kit to start with. 

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,504
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Well what is the price?
    I suspect a kit contains things that you might never use!

Tbh all you need are a couple of crochet hooks and some yarn. large needle for sewing up.
    The yarn band should give you an idea of hook size otherwise google. I would use a smooth DK. 
    You surely have some leftover yarn from knitting?

Loads and loads of YouTube videos showing different stitches and simple ideas. One of the easiest is possibly a 'Granny square'- made of chain & treble clusters- as you go in 'rounds' you don't need to turn at the end of rows- I think that is one of the hardest things to do.. 

You can very likely buy crochet hooks from a charity shop
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 15 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 42 £61 spent!!! already
  • Well what is the price?
    I suspect a kit contains things that you might never use!

Tbh all you need are a couple of crochet hooks and some yarn. large needle for sewing up.
    The yarn band should give you an idea of hook size otherwise google. I would use a smooth DK. 
    You surely have some leftover yarn from knitting?

Loads and loads of YouTube videos showing different stitches and simple ideas. One of the easiest is possibly a 'Granny square'- made of chain & treble clusters- as you go in 'rounds' you don't need to turn at the end of rows- I think that is one of the hardest things to do.. 

You can very likely buy crochet hooks from a charity shop
    They are generally around ten pounds and you get an array of sizes of crochet needles, stitch markers, large needles and then other bits like a tape measure, small scissors etc. and a case of course!
    I do have yarn from knitting.  I've seen the videos and am confident that I can teach myself, I just wasn't sure if all the "extra" stuff in these kits is really necessary especially for a beginner
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,579
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 September 2023 at 2:10PM
    To start with you really only need one hook, yarn and a large blunt needle for sewing in the ends.
    A safety pin or bit of different colour yarn can be used as a stich marker. (Tip: use a safety pin though the final loop on your hook to stop it all accidentally unravelling if you put it away for a while ! )

But eventually you'll find you want a lot of different sized hooks so buying a complete set works out much cheaper overall than buying them gradually individually. I recommend the ones with ergonomic handles as they are more comfortable. If you know anyone who already does crochet ask them to give or lend you a hook - we usually have a vast collection !

If you do Amazon, this set is currently only £5.59, which is little more than a single hook would cost me at my local haberdashery store. 

ZGTS Crochet Hooks Set, 9PCS Aluminum Knitting Needles Kit Ergonomic Soft Grip Handle for Arthritic Hands with Measuring Tape Stitch Markers and Sewing Needles : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,504
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    the only problem with the soft grip handles is that I grip very tightly and eventually... the hook has snapped. (Not these but Inox with plastic handles  ) When I was doing really fine work I used to slide an old biro case, or similar over the hook handle to make it easier to hold.
    That set from Amazon looks a good buy.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 15 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 42 £61 spent!!! already
  • Oblong1
    Oblong1 Posts: 18
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 30 September 2023 at 3:56PM
    I run two free crochet groups, and you literally only need a crochet hook and ball of wool to get you started!  And you tube will teach you all you need to know, put in “beginners crochet” and watch the videos, stopping and starting as much as you like 👍.   Best hook to start with is about 4.5 or 5 or a little bigger, and double knit or chunky light colored wool.  And I personally don’t like the soft grip handles. The ones I use are from Amazon, multi coloured.
  • That's brilliant, thank you for your comments and to @p00hsticks for the link - that's a better price than any I had found!
    I'll get those ordered and give it a go :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback