Do I need to notify HMRC about ex-partner moving out?

My girlfriend of 7 years and I have split up.
She is not on the mortgage, we're not married, and she now has new accommodation.
This happened early in July '23 (2 and a half months ago).
I've been told by a friend that I might need to notify HMRC of this change of circumstance.
I have not notified HMRC of this yet. and I'm not sure whether she has either.

My questions regarding this situation are...
1: Is this even something HMRC need to be notified about?
2: Will either of us be fined for not notifying HMRC sooner?
3: is the onus on both us to notify, or just one of us?
4: How does one go about notifying HMRC of a change in household?



  • Your friend is an idiot, no you don’t need to inform HMRC it is nothing to do with them.

    It might be worth informing the LA if you are now living alone as you can get reduced council tax and it might effect benefits if you are claiming them as there will be less income coming in. 
  • Perfect, thank you Keep_!
    Yes I agree, what an idiot, I'll make sure to let him know he is one of those!

    As for my ex, I have found a page titled 'Tell HMRC when you change your address'...
    So I think the onus, if any, would be on her to do this for any tax credit/UC purposes.
  • If you are in receipt of any means-tested benefits, you almost certainly need to inform DWP, not HMRC, unless you are in receipt of Tax Credits.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards