housing benefit and apprenticeship question

Hi

I am on housing benefit but not on any apprenticeship.

I notice in a housing benefit review form that I was asked to complete 

It asked if I was on an apprenticeship.

I said no 'cos i'm not. But i'm curious if and how being on an apprenticeship affects housing benefit?

Comments

• Jyana
    Jyana Posts: 653
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    At a guess, it may be to do with the migration over to UC as Housing Benefit is being phased out. Therefore any changes in a person's circumstances would mean they would have claim UC to cover their rent portion if needs be, instead of staying HB for for the present. Where there also questions asking if you were in receipt of any other incomes too, like Child or Working Tax Credits, for example? 
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,468
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    darto150 said:
    Hi

I am on housing benefit but not on any apprenticeship.

I notice in a housing benefit review form that I was asked to complete 

It asked if I was on an apprenticeship.

I said no 'cos i'm not. But i'm curious if and how being on an apprenticeship affects housing benefit?
     Yes it would affect how much benefit you are entitled to because apprenticeships are paid. That income is taken into account 
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,710
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Jyana said:
    At a guess, it may be to do with the migration over to UC as Housing Benefit is being phased out. Therefore any changes in a person's circumstances would mean they would have claim UC to cover their rent portion if needs be, instead of staying HB for for the present. Where there also questions asking if you were in receipt of any other incomes too, like Child or Working Tax Credits, for example? 

Starting work isn't a change of circumstances that would prompt a move to UC.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback