Disabled road tax

Options
Both my wife and myself have disability (standard mobility)

As I understand we are both able to get 50% road tax off. 

However, we share the same car. If the car is my name, I can get the 50% off tax but then she cannot drive it? Even though she is also eligible to the same 50% off tax? 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She can drive it but only if it's for supporting to meet your needs, not for her own personal use. That's my understanding anyway. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • naf123
    naf123 Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elsien said:
    She can drive it but only if it's for supporting to meet your needs, not for her own personal use. That's my understanding anyway. 
    thanks , even though she can also apply for it herself!?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She can't apply for it herself though because it's only one discount per car and you've already applied.
    However if you want to check then you could try the DVLA webchat. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Muskey
    Muskey Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If she applies for the tax discount, then you can only drive the car for her purposes, just like she can only drive it for your purposes if you hold the tax discount.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    naf123 said:
    elsien said:
    thanks , even though she can also apply for it herself!?
     Yup if she wants to benefit of driving without or for you she would need to get her own car 
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The above advice is correct. However, in practice, it's not really an issue. Virtually all car journeys in a couple can be argued as benefitting each other. She might be using the car to get shopping for you or simply going out to give you a break. And vice versa. There are no checks.
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options
    chrisw said:
    The above advice is correct. However, in practice, it's not really an issue. Virtually all car journeys in a couple can be argued as benefitting each other. She might be using the car to get shopping for you or simply going out to give you a break. And vice versa. There are no checks.
    Also for a CPS to prosecute it has to be in the public interest, and having the wrong disabled person driving I can't see it meeting that threshold.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CPS wouldn't initially be involved. It would be a FPN and the car impounded.
    This situation appeared on one of the carious police shows on TV a while back
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ANPR will show car as being taxed. So it would require something more serious & being stopped by a physical police officer.
    Who may then question the driver. But does the system that they would check show actually that 50% VED is applied? Even if it did it is a simply case of them saying I'm shopping for said person & that should be the end of it.

Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure