We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can you transfer protected no claims discount after an accident to a different insurer?

I had a minor incident in August 2022 - gentle shunt into a car in front of me. Admitted liability. I had protected no claims with insurer. Accepted automatic renewal as uncertain where I stood regarding whether the NCD could be transferred to a different insurer, given I'd been liable for a claim. So my question is simply this. If I did opt for another insurer, could I take my no claims history with me, as it was protected, or does that only apply if I remain with the same insurer? Thank you.

Comments

  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 9,194 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Your renewal notice will simply show the number of years NCD, with no ifs or buts about it being protected.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 18,613 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    No its transferable, though they will consider the prior years claim with the other insurer when applying the no more than 2 accidents in 3 year and no more than 1 accident in 1 year rule 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Provided you have not lost any NCD as part of the protected scheme then you should still have those years. They will be shown on the renewal quote and you can take that to a new provider also taking into account you have to declare the accident and current status (if it is still open it will be seen as an at fault until settled in most cases).
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.