What to do with all your time?

Options
I thought it might be interesting to get some perspectives from the hive mind here running: might help others.  
We all know that those who have bitten the bullet almost all wonder how they had time to work, but perhaps this thread could give others ideas?   
Not wanting to focus on the financial aspects - most threads here do that, perhaps understandably, and many things need money….but some don’t, or don’t need much 🤷‍♂️

I stepped away from the coalface (well, keyboard) in May 2020 after an active time in the world of IT.
I was talking with another pal recently about his looming retirement.  He does have a lot of hobbies, but was still unsure what he will do with his time.  

We went on a ‘retirement seminar’ offered by a local IFA firm a few years ago.  Lovely afternoon tea, but they did focus a lot on the 21 slots you have to fill (morning, afternoon, evening, 7 days a week), & I guess my mate is mentally figuring that out 🧐

I began on Day 1 by reinvigorating my love for cycling 🚴‍♂️
I’m not very fast, & have never been one to pedal in a group who have a weekly ride (still not), but took on an awesome solo LEJoG, with a few pals joining me for bits of it.  Since done a couple of others, and off soon with a pal for a mini adventure - circular ride, camping in the middle.  Little adventures!

Partner and I enjoy festivals, and camping…. we have thrown ourselves into a few in the past 30months - great music, some good comedy, only one horrendously cold and wet day (Latitude this July 👀).  Discovered https://www.concertarchives.org - a *briliant* site to log all your gigs/festivals, etc.  Spent a few hours since Radio 2 in the Park the other weekend popping ours in.  Go on, take a look!
Comedy nights and Beer festivals also get my personal vote as a fine way to spend an afternoon/evening, from time to time….got to avoid drinking too much though 🍻

We enjoy films and some TV, including (gasp, dirty secret) late afternoon quiz shows (frequent watches of HoG, Chase and even Tipping Point….shhh 🤭).

It’s good for the soul to do some volunteering, & mine is split: one half helping a popular volleyball club to operate.  Even wrote a Club Constitution the other day, with help from ChatGPT & Volleyball England.  Might be my last year or so for actually playing, mind 👀 …the other half is with young people for DofE (supervising and sometimes assessing Gold expeditions) 🏕️

Outside of that, as we all know, there are always things needing doing around the house & garden.

Oh, & holidays that can be taken off-peak…..we snapped up 2 month 1st class Interrail tickets in their crazy ‘50 year sale’ last year, and had the most incredible time rolling around 10,000km, 68 places and 14 countries 🚂🚞🚠🚟

So….what other ways have you found to spend their time, filling those 21 slots?
Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!

Comments

• SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Grandkids 🤣
    I’m not retired yet but I’ve drastically cut my hours and gone self employed so I work where I want, when I want ,  about 15 hours a week during the summer but it will ramp up when the bad weather starts,  people are always shocked when their boiler packs up after not running the heating for months.   Then it will be the heady heights of 25-30 hours a week (the horror) . 

Unfortunately, due to childcare/school run  commitments and the fact that our Daughter is a Teacher,  we can’t yet take advantage of cheap holidays,  not for the next 6 years anyway.
    At the moment I’m replacing all the old radiators in our house, 3 down, 5 to go.  
    When I retire properly in 6 years,  we might buy a camper van / day van.  

• Ciprico
    Ciprico Posts: 562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned pickleball, one of the fastest growing sports in the world, especially for those of us getting on a bit...
  • mcn99
    mcn99 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am on my last OMY or maybe TMY. And this worries me. I currently have an easy IT job that just pays too much to walk away.

Apart from walking and cycling I don't really do much, I too plan to cycle LEJOG again once I finally pull the pin. But just worried I would be really bored especially when the weather is crap.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback