Economy 10

I have Dimplex electric radiators that run on Economy 10 but am struggling to find a utility provider that offers an Economy 10 tariff and my current heating bills are through the roof! Thank you 

Comments

• cling said:
    I have Dimplex electric radiators that run on Economy 10 but am struggling to find a utility provider that offers an Economy 10 tariff and my current heating bills are through the roof! Thank you 
    Almost no suppliers will take on new customers on E10 as it is regarded as a legacy tariff. Do you currently have an E10 supply, if so who with?
  • Few suppliers now offer E10 but even if you found an alternative one it is unlikely to save money as your real problem is that you have the most expensive heating system you could have.

if you own your house you should seriously consider getting a system running from a heat pump installed.
  • Hi,
    your heaters will also run on E7.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,733
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 27 September 2023 at 8:26AM
    Are these panel heaters / convectors or night storage heaters?
    If they are NSHs they will run on Economy 7 but may get a bit cool in the evenings.  Make sure you're using the controls properly.https://youtu.be/UeB3Xf_qKvA
    If you can't get a heat pump and a grant, consider E7 and High Heat Retention NSHs such as Dimplex Quantum.
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,672
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 September 2023 at 4:38PM
    Dimplex do panel heaters/ radiators and storage heaters.

Panel heaters / radiators will tend to use heat in a live sense - at whatever prevailing electric rate it is metered at.

Night storage heaters the off peak rate on e7 and e10 - most traditionally will be wired to a switched / timed supply to force that - often by edit timer or even meters themselves.

But then there are metering differences - a single meter solution normally applies peak and off peak rates to whole house.

Many older dual meter systems like RTS - and some single triple rate meters - only applied the off peak to rts meter switched nsh and hw etc.

Without knowing your panel type - live radiator or NSH - and your metering arrangement - it's difficult to advise.

But just on E10.

Most of thd big 6 may have E10.

But many may only support E10 to own legacy customers - the only post I remember seeing here was someone managing to get it at EDF - moving from a SP white meter deal - and that move was a few years ago now. They still openly publish their tariff rates for it.

I was told by EOn meter fitter years ago - EOn were by then only supporting E10 for old legacy ex RTS customers like me.

And if lose it - we'll that might mean heater upgrades etc as not sure my old heaters will mix well with even E7.

• Hi,
    But if they're storage heaters (which they should be, for Economy 10) they probably won't hold enough heat for the whole day just from one overnight 7hr charge.  Most people on E10 are on it for a reason.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,308
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi,
    But if they're storage heaters (which they should be, for Economy 10) they probably won't hold enough heat for the whole day just from one overnight 7hr charge.  Most people on E10 are on it for a reason.
    Yeah. Old NSHs will struggle. Newer high heat retention are fine on E7.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,672
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Some older models will cope better than others with E7.

And their are a raft of lot20 designs - like Dimplex owned Creda own TSRE series that share some of the modern controllability of the oldnon RF Quantums - that might be a good price vs performance compromise.

I had a quote for 3 old non rf Quantums years ago when I thought one of mine was failing  - the rf are now more expensive, the Credas cheaper.  Turns out what I thought was a failing 25yr+ old heater tripping the supply was actually a failing mcb in consumer unit - so just got that replaced instead - £70  rather than £1000s.

I would probably look at mixing the 2 types in future, as only heat the halls and secondary rooms via the halls to a low background heat (15c) to prevent risk of dampness etc.
  • PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 468
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    EDF may be able to help.  Very cheap off peak price at minute.

email their Complex meter team

Complexmeteringregistrations@edfenergy,com 
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,733
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Another forumite who made a single post, never upvoted any reply and never returned (Last Active 27 Sep).
    Really disappointing etiquette because those who responded will have no idea whether their replies were helpful, ditto other readers who have similar concerns.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback