Ask An Expert: ENERGY

This event is now over. Thanks for your questions. Experts MSE Andrew & MSE Clare have finished posting replies to many of them

Please note: our experts DO NOT offer personal financial advice. Heed the MSE Forum rules and keep it clean, kind & MoneySaving.

Difficulty with Electricity Tariff at Rented Workshop


I'm renting a workshop on a farm and as a non-domestic property the electricity billing falls into the business category, even though I'm not using it for commercial purposes

SSE currently have me on their variable rate tariff which is currently £1.60/day and 46p/unit, but in order to get a deal they say I need to contact Experian and register myself as a business/sole trader in order that they can carry out a credit check.

Does this sound right? Looking to buy my first property next year so don't want any anomolies on my credit file. The application form obviously asks for info such as nature of business, number of employees etc which I don't see I can really provide an answer to.

Can't find any info on this on the web, there must be thousands of individuals in the UK renting non-domestic properties for private use? Can you help?

1 votes

Ask An Expert: Question · Last Updated

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards