Extra payments not in the IVA

Options
Hi 

My husband is going into his 6th and final year of his IVA in January.
When we started this they told us not to add the overdraft of our bank account into the IVA as it was in joint names so I set up a seperate payment in my name which I pay wescott for monthly  for the overdraft. 
In the last year I've noticed payment amounts that aren't my normal monthly payment on the account, wescott reckon they have been investigating this for months but don't know where they are from. 

I've looked at the last review statement we had from the IVA and the debt is on there and its there payments 

So, Do I need to contact wescott and stop my payments and claim a refund or do I tell the IVA company to stop

Or let the IVA run it's final year and then contact wescott so not disrupting everything 

Thanks

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 September 2023 at 7:02PM
    Options
    How are payments you make to Wescott, getting to your husbands IVA ?

There is no direct correlation there at all, how is that even possible ?

If the debt is included in the IVA, you need to stop paying Wescott, as your paying twice.

You need to clarify its status first off.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I think let the iva run its course.

When wescott send letters about this one, are they addressed to you or yiur husband or both?
  • miaboo
    miaboo Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The letters are just addressed to me, when the IVA was first established they said the joint account would not be included and to let it go to default and then when they contact me to set up a payment plan.
    so the plan is just in my name and I've been paying a minimal amount each month for 5 years, theres only just been additional payments being made on the account in the last 18 months or so and when they asked me where they were from I didn't know but now just discovered the payments are coming from the IVA company 
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I don't think that causes any problem. It sounds like you remain liable and can continue to pay this off after the IVA finishes
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ah, joint account, joint names, joint liability, sorry must have been tired lol
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback