Can I insure just the middle of a foreign holiday?

I'm going away to Bangladesh, Thailand, and possibly Indonesia/Malaysia for three months. I had blood clots a couple of years ago, for which I now take blood thinners daily.

In Bangladesh I have very good medical contacts including people who manage hospitals. The hospitals are very cheap and actually good if you know where to visit. I'm not worried about medical expenses there.

But Thai medical expenses are high and I want to be covered in case of accidents. The Thai, and possibly Indonesia/Malaysian, part of the trip is about 35 days in the middle of over 90 days for the trip.

Covering the whole trip, including my medical problem, is over £600. So I wonder whether I can get insurance for part of a trip when I am already abroad. I won't be coming back to the UK in between segments of the trip.

Comments

• There are a limited number of UK providers that will sell insurance if you are already travelling, note that for sickness (rather than accident) the cover is often not immediate to stop someone who's starting to feel unwell then buying the policy and claiming it started a few days after.

If you are comfortable with non-UK insurers (Eg US) then there are a few more options but naturally you dont get FSCS or FOS protection and they may not be able to sell to you whilst you are still physically in the UK
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,826
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I know this isn't your question, but I'd be nervous about not having cover for the whole trip. Even if you're sure you can get excellent free medical care in Bangladesh, you probably couldn't get free medical repatriation.
  • There are a limited number of UK providers that will sell insurance if you are already travelling, note that for sickness (rather than accident) the cover is often not immediate to stop someone who's starting to feel unwell then buying the policy and claiming it started a few days after.

If you are comfortable with non-UK insurers (Eg US) then there are a few more options but naturally you dont get FSCS or FOS protection and they may not be able to sell to you whilst you are still physically in the UK

What if I insure the middle segment of my trip in advance, before I travel, is that a problem?
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,477
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 September 2023 at 10:21PM
    LintonW said:
    There are a limited number of UK providers that will sell insurance if you are already travelling, note that for sickness (rather than accident) the cover is often not immediate to stop someone who's starting to feel unwell then buying the policy and claiming it started a few days after.

What if I insure the middle segment of my trip in advance, before I travel, is that a problem?
    I think you would probably fall foul of the condition that the holiday you're covering started from the UK which most policies have as a requirement (as you would be effectively starting the insured bit from Bangladesh) .   
  • LintonW said:
    There are a limited number of UK providers that will sell insurance if you are already travelling, note that for sickness (rather than accident) the cover is often not immediate to stop someone who's starting to feel unwell then buying the policy and claiming it started a few days after.

You'd need to check the terms but you could buy it on day 1 of your holiday with a start date of when you fly to Thailand. That might elevate the no cover for the first X days problem for sickness 

It's a rather niche market and so haven't spent a lot of time reading policy books etc. They're really designed for those that either decide to extend their holiday whilst they're away or have made a mistake, forgotten their annual policy was to renew mid holiday and they'd set it to not auto-renew.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback