Migration to UC - savings

Hello newbie here, after googling to try and find an answer I came across this site and hope someone can help with my query.
I receive tax credits and will be moving over to UC under the migration, my husband and I have savings over £16,000 and I thought we would automatically not be entitled but reading it seems for the first 12 months our capital will be ignored? is this correct?
Also I read this morning if you need to access some of your savings short term which makes your capital below £16,000 but then you top them up again you lose the transition protection? so as long as your savings stay above the 16,000 then the protection remains? Have I understood that correctly?
In our situation we have £50,000, this is from saving hard and also inheritance, this is money we have been saving to do major work on our home and also towards our mortgage when our fixed deal ends. That amount will change as we pay for the work on our home and also add any spare money into each month, so as long as this doesn't drop below 16,000 we will still receive the 12 months transition protection? 
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I find it all very confusing. 

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure