White zig zag line on the road and over speed hump

Options
Hi,

Is it illegal to park on highlighted lines on speed hump if it is near school and there are no signs of No parking or any restriction signage?

Regards

Comments

• turnitround
    Options
    Yes, parking/stopping is not allowed at all on zig zag lines.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's not a zig-zag, just a badly painted straight line. Edge-of-carriageway marking.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    I'm pretty sure it's not a zig-zag, just a badly painted straight line. Edge-of-carriageway marking.
    Yes, it looks like the line has just been diverted so it isn't on the side of the hump. In which case I don't think there's anything inherently unlawful about parking there.

Some more context might help though.
  • Asad786787
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you for your comments. I am adding another picture. In my area, each speed hump has it. The attached particular one is near school and one of the house owners just fights with everyone that you cannot park here but my knowledge is it is not prohibited to park there and there are no restriction signage. I couldn't find anything in highway code about this but I may be wrong 

Regards
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,588 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The white line is to indicate presence of a speed cushion and influence drivers to move over, it does not introduce parking restrictions.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    <snip>

one of the house owners just fights with everyone that you cannot park here

<snip>

Don't park there then, unless you enjoy arguments that can rapidly escalate out of all proportion.

Parking is a very emotive subject, and leaving your valuable car unattended outside the house of someone who doesn't want it there, who could possibly be unhinged is foolish at best.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Asad786787
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I contacted the traffic department in my council and they confirmed it is allowed to park and to just make sure not to obstruct anyone's driveway but otherwise totally allowed to park there
  • Asad786787
    Options
    facade said:
    <snip>

<snip>

Don't park there then, unless you enjoy arguments that can rapidly escalate out of all proportion.

Parking is a very emotive subject, and leaving your valuable car unattended outside the house of someone who doesn't want it there, who could possibly be unhinged is foolish at best.
    Hi,

Parents just park there for hardly 5 minutes to pick up children as there is limited parking when school is over. In my case, I sit in car while my mother goes to pickup my son and process again completes in 5 minutes but I don't know what is his issue when nobody parks there for any longer duration
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    facade said:
    <snip>

<snip>

Hi,

Parents just park there for hardly 5 minutes to pick up children as there is limited parking when school is over. In my case, I sit in car while my mother goes to pickup my son and process again completes in 5 minutes but I don't know what is his issue when nobody parks there for any longer duration
    I told you, some people are unhinged :)

I unfortunately live in a street with a school at the end of it. Parents start arriving to block the road well over half an hour before kicking out time, and sit there in their SUVs with 2 wheels on the pavement illegally running the engine, belching out carcinogenic diesel fumes. I have no idea why they have to arrive so early, except there is a competition to get as close to the gates as possible and they keep arriving earlier to get the "best" spots.

The street is a no-go zone for around 45 minutes each afternoon.
    Not a problem if I don't need to leave or return to the house during those 45 minutes, and I keep the windows shut.  I just have to make sure that I don't start a fire, or have an accident or a heart attack between 2:30 and 3:15 as no Emergency Service vehicles could get near my house.

Complaints to "The Council" resulted in double yellow lines around the corners, which doesn't help much except to improve sight lines, as the street is gridlocked for 10-15 minutes after going home time.

Never buy a house near a school. ;)

Things didn't used to be as bad as this, I blame working from home, I suspect they are working from their cars for that half an hour wait.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback