Insect based cat food

Options
Bluebell1000
Bluebell1000 Posts: 1,074 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 18 September 2023 at 10:34AM in Pets & pet care
We're considering moving to an insect based dry food to reduce our cat's carbon footprint (I think we'd supplement it with some standard wet food, since insect based wet food doesn't seem to be a thing, yet). It's obviously more expensive, but it is within our 'pet budget' for the year. Has anyone tried it? How have you got on with it?

Comments

• Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did try one for my mogs, but neither enjoyed it. They each tried a little as they're curious adventurous eaters, but with their normal food out too, it went untouched. The one I tried was called Aardvark who had some sort of 'try for postage' or similar promotion at the time, but a quick check shows they're less generous now. One of mine has Purina sensitive (reluctantly!) the other likes either wild freedom or thrive as 'grazing' food to go with two wet meals a day - they don't really eat enough of it for me to hunt down a brand they might enjoy, to be honest. 

Do keep us updated if you find one yours like. 
  • SensibleSarah
    Options
    I was sent a trial pack to use with my three cats by a brand. None of them would touch it. Mine normally have a wet and dry combo diet. My dogs had it as treats instead though and seemed to enjoy it :D but they are far less discerning as customers! 
  • Bluebell1000
    Options
    My cats tend to be quite excited about eating live insects 😂 It looks like Love Bug has a money back offer, so I'm thinking that could be worth a go.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you think the food will look like live insects?
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sheramber said:
    Do you think the food will look like live insects?
    It doesn't, just looks like normal kibble. Shame really, my cats are quite interested in meal worms I buy for the birds and always happy to help when there's a spider in the bath. Maybe that'd entice them! 
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 September 2023 at 2:34AM
    Options
    Random offer but I've bought a few trial packs of Trovet, including an insect-based dry food, and the seller sent me twice what I ordered! I asked them if they would take it back but they said to keep it - so I do have a small bag of Trovet insect dry cat food going spare, if you would like it. 

Edit: https://www.trovet.com/product/hypoallergenic-insect-cat/ 
  • Bluebell1000
    Options
    Lavendyr said:
    Random offer but I've bought a few trial packs of Trovet, including an insect-based dry food, and the seller sent me twice what I ordered! I asked them if they would take it back but they said to keep it - so I do have a small bag of Trovet insect dry cat food going spare, if you would like it. 

Edit: https://www.trovet.com/product/hypoallergenic-insect-cat/ 
    That's a really kind offer, thank you. I doubt we'd go for a hypoallergenic brand in future though, so I think I'd be better trying out a brand I'd be more likely to buy. 
  • AstroSarah
    Options
    We have a 4 month old kitten & she loves the Pets Corner insect kibble (Yora brand?). Her coat is noticeably shiny after being on it too. 
  • HariM
    HariM Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’ve been feeding my cat Yora insect-based food for a couple of years now (alongside wet food). He loves it and, although it’s pricey, there’s pretty much no wastage so it’s probably better value than something cheaper that he would like less. You can buy quite little bags of it to try out so you don’t have to commit until you know your cat likes it. 
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    I was reluctant at first, but bought for one cat who is over grooming as it's hypoallergenic, and she likes it. As do the other three who are constantly trying to eat any leftovers.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure