US Dollar Savings Account

Options
Greetings to the forum. I have a Barclays USD account to receive monthly USD payments from abroad. I'm looking for a USD savings account here in the UK that pays good interest. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any recommendations ?

Comments

• wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 September 2023 at 6:20PM
    Options
    BVI_EXPAT said:
    Greetings to the forum. I have a Barclays USD account to receive monthly USD payments from abroad. I'm looking for a USD savings account here in the UK that pays good interest. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any recommendations ?
    in my experience you'll have a hard time finding any but Flagstone did offer some as an intermediary for Investec but now I check no euro or USD accounts are currently being displayed. If you're in the BVI you'll have a hard time opening anything anyway. Another option might be to look at banks and Skipton International in the Channel Islands.

Another option might be Wise and its 'interest' option that will invest your deposits in a short term Blackrock money market fund but obviously this is a bit different from a straightforward bank deposit and Wise isn't a bank.

https://www.skiptoninternational.com/offshore-savings-accounts/us-dollar/
  • BVI_EXPAT
    Options
    Thanks wmb194. I'm permanently resident in the UK now.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why don’t you convert the USD to GBP and then save the cash in a standard U.K. GBP savings account?
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • cwep2
    cwep2 Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Revolut pay interest - depends on tier, with Metal I get 3.54% - this is FSCS protected and held with Investec.
    Wise pay interest - 4.99% invested with Blackrock so I think fairly safe as well. This is invested in a treasury fund, not sure if tax return stuff will be same as interest.
    Interactive Brokers pay interest - this is really a trading account but they pay fed funds rate minus a fixed spread, currently 4.83%, may be only on amounts >$10k.

Note that with IB you can invest in treasury funds directly as well (like the Wise one) with lower fees and slightly higher returns. You can also buy treasuries directly if you like.

Wise is probably your best bet.
    Note that transfers from your Barclays account to Wise will often incur wire transfer fees of $15-50 and it is often pot luck how much you get charged, probably best to get money sent directly to Wise account in future if you decide to save there. You can get a debit card for spending your USD directly, or convert to GBP or EUR or whatever for spending at home or on holiday. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback