Approaching 30

Options
Approaching 30…some financial investment advice needed

Stocks & Shares ISA
£5k in Lloyds Banking Group Shares
i invest between £50-100 a month in this company appreciate risky but I bought low enough that even marginal rise of day 10p would be a nice earner. Also like th dividend :)

LISA
£6.5K held in DODL LISA
i invest £100 into a FTSE 100 All share Fund.  Intention of this is to have a house deposit saved up. So next investment I’ll increase this to £200

Fixed Term Saver
£1K matures at some point in October 2023

BOS Ready Made Investment
£500 only…just opened it but think it’s pretty poor from what I read after opening it. Have an investment set up for £250 a month…but thinking of stopping this and giving it to my LISA

currently have no debt other than a usual £100-200 on credit card which gets paid and cleared in full every month

However what I do want to do is set up a long term 20 - 30 years investment for like £50 and have it forgot about…any advice on what to put this into or platform to set it up on? My shares are held in a BOS Share Dealing but I wouldn’t mind putting this money somewhere else so I can forget about it until the future. Not interested in setting up a private pension just incase I ever needed it in the future! I did increase my employee contributions from 5-7% which will take effect in November this year 

basically looking somewhere and something to invest a little every month for 20-30 years for a nest egg. Any advice on what to do?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    All seems heavily weighted to equities. You probably want some crypto in there for diversification
    Crypto isn’t something I want to get involved in
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 April at 8:03PM
    Options
    Stocks & Shares ISA
    i invest between £50-100 a month in this company appreciate risky but I bought low enough that even marginal rise of day 10p would be a nice earner. Also like th dividend :)
    Seems an odd choice. Do you see them going anywhere? Many don't. What attracts you to the dividend? At 30 or so you don't need the income and even with them reinvested high dividend companies have limited growth prospects. I'd focus on total return
    LISA
    £6.5K held in DODL LISA
    i invest £100 into a FTSE 100 All share Fund.  Intention of this is to have a house deposit saved up. So next investment I’ll increase this to £200
    Not a great choice but better than LBG. Why have you dismissed the US, Europe, Japan, Asia Pacific and Emerging Markets? Do you see see a bunch of, ahem, 'mature' UK companies outperforming the rest of the world for 30 years? Few do
    You need to look further than the UK
    However what I do want to do is set up a long term 20 - 30 years investment for like £50 and have it forgot about…any advice on what to put this into or platform to set it up on?
    That would be a pension then with it's generous tax breaks (while they exist). What you invest in is far more important than where so your choice of platform should be low on the list. I'd probably use my employers pension
    However at your age I'd prioritise the house deposit and the LISA is fine for that
    Not interested in setting up a private pension just incase I ever needed it in the future!
    You will need it in the future unless you are very unlucky
    I did increase my employee contributions from 5-7% which will take effect in November this year
    Good move. Your older self will thank you
    NB Ignore the previous poster, it's (predictably) terrible advice
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you're discounting pensions then making full use of your annual ISA allowance is the best way to go. You mention a LISA. Are you saving to buy your first property? If not then remember it's best to keep money in your LISA until you're 60. Otherwise the penalty means you might as well have used an ISA instead. 

There are various platforms for Stocks & Shares ISAs. Personally I use Hargreaves Lansdown and AJ Bell, neither of which are particularly cheap.

I am personally not a big fan of buying shares in individual companies. I would put this money into a global tracker fund or multi asset fund. It should still perform very well over the decades and is not a gamble, unlike buying individual shares.

Also, don't listen to mooneysaver. Crypto is an even bigger gamble than buying individual shares.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    El_Torro said:
    If you're discounting pensions then making full use of your annual ISA allowance is the best way to go. You mention a LISA. Are you saving to buy your first property? If not then remember it's best to keep money in your LISA until you're 60. Otherwise the penalty means you might as well have used an ISA instead. 

There are various platforms for Stocks & Shares ISAs. Personally I use Hargreaves Lansdown and AJ Bell, neither of which are particularly cheap.

I am personally not a big fan of buying shares in individual companies. I would put this money into a global tracker fund or multi asset fund. It should still perform very well over the decades and is not a gamble, unlike buying individual shares.

Also, don't listen to mooneysaver. Crypto is an even bigger gamble than buying individual shares.
    Could you give me a few examples of funds to look at?
  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    All seems heavily weighted to equities. You probably want some crypto in there for diversification
    ... or you could put it all on the 3:30 at Chepstow. 
  • ColdIron
    Options
    El_Torro said:

Could you give me a few examples of funds to look at?
    Either of these could be a good starting point
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    30Towers said:
    Approaching 30…some financial investment advice needed

Stocks & Shares ISA

LISA
    £6.5K held in DODL LISA

Fixed Term Saver
    £1K matures at some point in October 2023

BOS Ready Made Investment
    £500 only…just opened it but think it’s pretty poor from what I read after opening it. Have an investment set up for £250 a month…but thinking of stopping this and giving it to my LISA

currently have no debt other than a usual £100-200 on credit card which gets paid and cleared in full every month

However what I do want to do is set up a long term 20 - 30 years investment for like £50 and have it forgot about…any advice on what to put this into or platform to set it up on? My shares are held in a BOS Share Dealing but I wouldn’t mind putting this money somewhere else so I can forget about it until the future. Not interested in setting up a private pension just incase I ever needed it in the future! I did increase my employee contributions from 5-7% which will take effect in November this year 

basically looking somewhere and something to invest a little every month for 20-30 years for a nest egg. Any advice on what to do?
    A pension is a long term investment with tax advantages, so this fits your 20 to 30 years plan.
    So simplest thing to do is to just increase your current workplace pension contributions by £50 a month . Job done.
    Make sure this pension is invested in a way you prefer. You have given details of how you have invested elsewhere, but no info on how the pension is invested . 

With the LISA, if it is to buy a house in the next two or three years, it would be safer in a cash LISA. If it is for the longer term then a S&S LISA is better, but preferably not invested just in UK - think global !

Final bit of actual advice - read this and the pensions forum regularly !
  • Nurse2047
    Options
    Look at Vanguard and investing all in to the Global all cap fund 
    https://youtu.be/ZfNkyzmdnyg?si=BpEmbCfMSsc4_ebx
    Nurse striving for financial freedom
  • ColdIron
    Options
    In your other thread you have dismissed Vanguard due to the minimum investment. Don't confuse Vanguard Investor (their platform) and Vanguard funds, they are separate things. Vanguard do many funds and most of them are available through all the mainstream platforms for as little as £25, e.g. HL with their monthly savings
  • adam06_2
    adam06_2 Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2023 at 9:13PM
    Options
    If decentralised banking takes off, then central banks like Lloyds will crash hard... 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback