Close to DRO application.. New debt Bailiff

Options
Hi All 
I would appreciate some advice please.  Its been a slow journey but am getting close to apply for Dro
 Just waiting for a few things to line up. Got a big shock a week ago. 
Letter from bailiffs for parking ticket from 1 year ago. My old car was still registered to my old address so Letter was sent there until they went to court.  Northampton county court fine. Now they said if I don’t pay £279 by 14th September, they will come to my house and an additional £250 will be added!

I called to explain that this is my first knowledge of this as the bailiffs has tracked me down to my new address.  
Called the council who issued the ticket last year. They said submit a TE7 AND Te9 form ASAP.
I am trying to do that tonight but it won't be in time to stop these bailiffs attending and additional fines.
The bailiffs are MARSTON.  They sent me a online portal to manage my file. I completed and submitted their very short income and expenses form.  I offered £1 as payment plan and paid £1 online. 
I Don't  want to be disqualified from my DRO application because of preferential payment.  I am already paying my other creditors £1 per month.
But this threat of additional fees and anxiety of bailiffs coming to my door if I miss tomorrow's deadline is making me ill.
It will but me over £30,000 Dro limit. 

I have been working with a small debt charity trying to write off debt but no success so I need the DRO.

I have battled severe anxiety and depression. This is making me so fearful. The Dro application won't go in until end of October after my my husband and I separate bank accounts. 
THE debt advisor is away until Monday.  I am out of time. Talking on the phone is very difficult for me due to anxiety.  I asked MARSTON if I could email them.  They said emails take 28 days to respond and enforcement agents would have attended My home by then!

They want my husband's income details.  I can't have him involved in anyway.  Its my debt. I gave them my income and my financial outgoings. They want to blackmail me to pay more which I can't afford. That will also affect my Dro. 
I rent from council and have young kids with additional needs.  I can't deal with bailiffs. Hope this all makes sense as you read.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is very difficult due to mental ill health.  

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,518 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Making a payment under threat of harassment is unlikely to cause a problem. However it is preference so my usual advice is to pay all creditors nothing in the lead-up to a dro.

Please don't give them income/expenses details as that will form part of a dro application and you don't want creditors challenging that.

If you can do the TE forms that should put everything on hold

https://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/index-page/traffic-enforcement-centre-tec

If bailiffs visit they only can levy a fee on the first visit of £235. They have no right to force entry and you don't need to talk to them. 

If you have now exceeded the 30k limit you will need a strategy to deal with that. Post again if you need to.
  • PHEB1
    PHEB1 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    fatbelly said:
    Making a payment under threat of harassment is unlikely to cause a problem. However it is preference so my usual advice is to pay all creditors nothing in the lead-up to a dro.

Please don't give them income/expenses details as that will form part of a dro application and you don't want creditors challenging that.

If you can do the TE forms that should put everything on hold

https://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/index-page/traffic-enforcement-centre-tec

If bailiffs visit they only can levy a fee on the first visit of £235. They have no right to force entry and you don't need to talk to them. 

If you have now exceeded the 30k limit you will need a strategy to deal with that. Post again if you need to.
    Thanks. I sent TE9 FORM. The first was rejected as it was wrong format.  I sent it again.  Marston want me to send them the mental health debt form or a letter from doctors.  They put account on hold for 10 more days .
    With all creditors shall I contact ask the lady from the debt charity to contact them that I can't pay anything? 
    She told me to agree a payment plan with Marston to stop them coming and adding more money which will put me over 30,000 limit. Currently at 29,720. Its so close as other parking ticket from last year have built up.

Apparently I had not changed log book with DVLA of my old car. I only changed my license.  So tickets were going to old address.  Now 2 in total £170 each.  Debt Recovery and Gladstones Solicitors have written me. If I dont pay the further action will be taken against me without any further communication. 
    I explained that I had not see the tickets.  Both companies found me at my new address which is how i found out about these outstanding debts. I asked if the original ticket finesof £65 could be reinstated. Both have not responded.  1 week waiting so far.
    I want to hopefully apply for DRO end of October have some things to get sorted first. I have applied for my name to be removed from the joint accounts with my husband. ( only his money is in there. I have my own accounts. I just managed family/kids payment so it's easier for me to get his share of contributions.  But I don't want his credit wrecked like me. Apparently it takes 1 week ...) 

Can't afford for anything else to go wrong.  I worry about preferential payment rejection. I have just been juggling debts and robbing Peter to pay Paul for the last couple of years.  I have been doing token payments but the lady at the debt charity told me to pay off small debt.  My family paid them for me. But the more I read the more I get worried.  Is her advice going to work against me? 
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Her advice seems odd in two respects. She should not be advising you to pay some creditors, not others, and it is not likely any further fees will be added if both enforcement and compliance fees are already in there.

However, you said a third party paid the small debts and a third party can do what it wants with its money.

If she is a DRO intermediary, can you ask her to generate the barcode so you can pay the fee and she can submit it?
  • PHEB1
    PHEB1 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am getting worried about her advice now. She is great but seems very busy and hard to get hold of. 
    She works with this small debt charity.  She just told me that she is not the person who will submit DRO. She will send me to a colleague of hers in London to submit it. This has me worried that preferential treatment to stop Marston attending will work against me.
    She told me to pay PayPal off and my family helped with that by paying it directly. 
    She told me to pay natwest in July.  My mum gave me the £200 and I  paid it using my card. I am concerned about that so much now. That was her advice. 
    Now I pay £1 to everyone but Marston gets £30 that will not be a problem? 
    Shall I just stop paying anything to anyone? 

Marston have requested a copy of the debt mental health form by next week.  Is that ok to send it? Anything I should be worried about? 
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Send the DMHEF as soon as poss.

Stop paying everyone and get in touch with the proper intermediary.

The insolvency service will make the final decision. Most applications go through without a hitch
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback