IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

LBC for a parking charge that has already been paid

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so I apologise if I miss anything in my post please let me know and I will amend or provide additional information. There is a lot and I just want to make things simple to read, thank you

Driver went and parked somewhere without receiving permission from the business to park there and registered keeper received a PCN in the post from Premier Parking Enforcement Ltd.

We appealed the PCN in time (within 14 days) and mentioned on the appeal that driver was visiting the business and was told they could park there by somebody at the business. Also mentioned that we would like to do a transfer of liability and provided the correct driver details in the appeal. I received a appeal submission confirmation email that said the appeal has been received and the PCN has been placed on hold. The PPC's website also says that when an appeal is made, the PCN is placed on hold and when a response is given that an additional 14 days is given to pay the reduced charge of £60.

In the response, the PPC did not accept or reject the appeal and said that if we wanted to do a transfer of liability that we would need to send a letter in the post with the drivers details and signed. They would not accept the transfer of liability over email. They also did not send an appeals reference to take to the IAS.

After receiving their response and with the driver now being out of the country, we had decided to pay the charge just to avoid any headache. I tried paying online but their online payment facilities did not work and haven't been working for a while it seems (and still not working now). I emailed and mentioned that I could not pay the £60 charge as the online payment option on their site was down and they said that it would have to be via post or telephone. Online it said the charge was £60. I managed to make the payment through one of their automated telephone lines which confirmed the charge was £60 and paid it using my card.

I emailed them to confirm that I had eventually been able to make the payment and the PPC replied saying that I had a £40 balance left to pay as the charge was now £100 as it was over the 14 days for the reduced charge. I replied and said that is not right as online it said the charge was £60 as well as the telephone line and because I appealed I should have had an extra 14 days.

A few weeks later I received another PCN with the same reference number saying that I owed £40. I checked on their website and this charge showed as £0 and as being paid. Contacted the PPC who just said that I didn't make the reduced payment on time and that the next stage would be debt collectors.

I then received a letter from Gladstone's Solicitors asking for £170 and that the next stage would be court.

It was at this point I found MSE forum and followed the advice in the newbies thread, where it says to send an email to the debt collectors, saying that I have sent their client a SAR and that I am seeking debt advice and that the claim must be placed on hold for no less than 30 days. I sent this email to them on day 28 after receiving their letter.

I also sent a SAR to the PPC. Today they responded but they haven't provided everything that I have asked for. They have not sent:

- Emails they have received from me (which contain proof that I paid the charge on time) 
- Appeal correspondence

I am fairly confident I would win this in court, as I have plenty evidence to show I had paid the charge on time according to their terms and conditions and that the additional £40 that they are claiming for is not owed at all. The fact that they did not accept or refuse my appeal or provide me with a code to take to the IAS is another issue in itself

I have never been to court and so I am not sure how to feel and I am quite worried and really do not want to pay these bullies anything more.

Any advice or anything I should be doing right now? Thank you

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Forumite Posts: 122,579
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    OK so now email Gladstones your evidence of having paid £60 and tell them to get lost.

For example wording, search the forum for

robust LBC Gladstones arkell
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • NomiTheBomi
    NomiTheBomi Forumite Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Post
    OK so now email Gladstones your evidence of having paid £60 and tell them to get lost.

For example wording, search the forum for

robust LBC Gladstones arkell
    Thank you @Coupon-mad. I have screenshots and evidence that I paid the charge on time so will email across to them and tell them to drop the claim.

If there are any responses from them or updates I will update the thread, thank you  :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Forumite Posts: 122,579
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 12 September at 3:48PM
    Yes but word it as I suggested...

REALLY ROBUST "get lost" wording - as seen when you do the search.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • B789
    B789 Forumite Posts: 3,320
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Just in case you missed the suggestion to search for "arkell", here is an explanation of a "robust" response to a legal letter of claim:

https://news.lettersofnote.com/p/arkell-v-pressdram
    The difference between intelligence and stupidity is... intelligence has its limits.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback