Mitsubishi Colt - window regulator out of production

Options
K_S
K_S Posts: 6,748 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 12 September 2023 at 1:58PM in Motoring
Our second car is an old Mitsubishi Colt. Great car, works perfectly well as a runabout and ideally I’d want to keep it running as long as I practically can.

Unfortunately, One of the electric windows has failed and apparently the window regulator needs to be replaced.

My local mechanic can’t find the part. I called two local Mitsubishi dealers and after a few days they responded that the part is no longer in production so they can’t procure it from Mitsubishi.

Given how we use the car, we just can’t manage without being able to use that window. 

Any ideas at all? It’d be a shame to have to get rid because of this reason only to buy another small hatchback!

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    Options
    I am presuming that it is the drivers window, otherwise it would not be a situation you could not manage without, so you could always switch over the one from the passenger side to the drivers side if they are universal. Depending on the age of the car there may be a third party part available, or if you contact a breakers yard they may well have the parts for sale, a quick Google should show up options for breakers and many parts are listed on eBay as well as parts wholesalers. 
  • Robbo66
    Robbo66 Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Get the part number off the regulator and do a google search, I doubt the regulator was only used in the colt
  • K_S
    Options
    Thanks both. Essentially we need all 4 windows to work, electrically or manually. It’s not just up to me unfortunately or I’d have managed somehow :)

Will search on eBay and try get the actual part number and see if I can find anything compatible.

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,588 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    No mention of age of vehicle, but one model of Colt from the mid 2000s shares components with the first smart forfour.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Options
    I would bet if you had the numbers from the part, a kit car or clasic car show dealer would have a new part on his table.
    My friens Lambo has Ford, BMW, Fiat parts fitted.
    Hazard swith from Lambo £750, Fiat breakers £10, New £35.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I was watching a channel where they fix cars and they had a Colt where the regulator had been replaced by a piece of wood and then found it's a pricey part but they did manage to get one by speaking to breakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7LKIUR4Hr4

• K_S
    Options
    Thanks all for your help on this.

Unfortunately, the part number is apparently out of production and I couldn't manage to locate any compatible alternatives for our model. I could find a few continent based websites that say they can supply the part number (used and new) but none of them ship to the UK.

On a positive note, I managed to convince my other half that we keep the car until after winter and then reassess. So all ok for now!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback