Rodents

Options
It was my mother's 95th birthday this Monday, just gone. 

She lives in her own apartment within a retirement block. She has a door leading to the garden that is often left open.

She exhibits moderate cognitive impairment with many of the hallmarks of vascular dementia.

Amongst her birthday presents, she received three large slabs of chocolate: the type which measures about seven inches by four inches. 

The first block was nibbled and about a quarter eaten. I found the second nibbled block in the fridge: one of the carers must have put it there. The third block, Bournville, had been carried from the lounge over six yards to her kitchen and deposited behind the kitchen kickboards, where it had been substantially eaten.

I always try to convince my mother to cover up her chocolate and biscuits, having discovered mice on several occasions. The apartment is kept clean by her cleaner, her carers and myself.

Here is the big question. Would a mouse carry a large slab of Bournville over six yards, or would this be rats or squirrels?
I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,843 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If there's a rodent infestation ,then there will be droppings. 
    In my (unfortunate) experience mouse droppings are like small back grains of rice, whereas rat droppings are the size of jelly beans. 
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    In my (unfortunate) experience mouse droppings are like small back grains of rice, whereas rat droppings are the size of jelly beans. 
    Thank you. It looks like mouse weightlifters, then. All of the droppings are of the small type.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,843 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you. It looks like mouse weightlifters, then. All of the droppings are of the small type.
    Or they are working as a team.......
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Or they are working as a team.......
    I did wonder. A slab of Bournville must be a considerable weight.
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    I have a friend who has squirrels that raid a local bakery and carry bath buns and the like up their tree! Another possibility?
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    I have a friend who has squirrels that raid a local bakery and carry bath buns and the like up their tree! Another possibility?
    Thank you. I wasn't ruling out squirrels.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback