Council Wheelie bins

Options
Council Wheelie bins and containers !
As of Nov 23 we shall be expected to store somewhere on our property up to 6 rubbish/refuse wheelie bins and containers ! This, once I have tried to rearrange things will take up a considerable amount of valuable area on our property. I estimate around 4m2 !
And we may be the lucky ones who with a push could/would reluctantly accommodate extra bins !
So having confirmed with my local council that indeed all the bins they provide for our household rubbish remain the property of the council and presuming then anything put in them would also become the property of the council would it not be reasonable to charge the council a weekly/yearly rental charge for storing all their bins on our property ! Or a discount on our community charge !
after all they are now charging an extra fee above our community charge to empty one the bins !
Would be interesting to hear from other similar households across the UK ! Plus Professional views from lawyers/solicitors out there regarding charging rent for the space provided !
And while we are all talking a
load of rubbish ! ……
How about all the councils nationally use the same colour bin for the same type of rubbish that goes in them ! 
AND THEN….
the government could rule all packaging nationally have a coloured symbol on that packaging that coincides with the coloured bin it goes in. !!! 
Maybe:
Green: recycle 
yellow: food waste
black: not recycle
brown: garden waste
orange: glass
Currently the system is too complicated and therefore probably too expensive to operate !
Yet could be made so much more simple and would no doubt increase recycling nationally immensely ! I mean has anyone bothered to look up and understand the recycling “Chasing Arrows” & related recycling information !
I rest my case !
Pete
Essex.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    So who's land are you currently using to store your rubbish? Do you have their written agreement and pay rent for this or you just been using public land for your personal exclusive use?

Our system is simpler in that glass goes in recycling. Brown bins for garden waste you need to pay extra for and most dont have them. No idea what your two other bags are but presumably further separation of recycling? Our recycling cannot take soft plastics so either they go into the black bin or you take them elsewhere (our local Coop has a soft plastics recycling bin).

Didn't realise people think their rubbish should be anywhere other than on their property until collection day. (flytipers excluded)
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,307 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    One of the first things I did after moving in was ask the council if they would swap out my normal sized bin for a smaller one - which they did without trouble.  Containers other than wheeliebins can often be stacked one inside the other until wanted.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,066 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We were issued with 2 bins that we were told we "must" use for food recycling.  I contacted the council and told them I have no place to put the bin so I would be sending it back to them.  They refused to collect or accept them back so in the end I put them in my recycling bin as being plastic and that was the end of that.  

We have also been told that we must never put garden waste in our normal waste bin.  The line is that we can pay to have a garden waste bin (£80 a year now I think for 9 months service) or we can take it to the tip instead.  All of which penalises those on low incomes, those that don't have a vehicle and those without space for the extra bin.  So we put our garden waste in with the rest of it.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • pete289cu
    Options
    Obviously our rubbish is kept on our land/property, as is all the council bins/containers etc ! 
    We catered for 2 bins originally as required/requested, then 3, now we expecting it to be 5 ! Plus 2 large soft containers ! Plus regular trips the tip to keep on top of things !
    Where is this all going to end ?
    We recycle everything we understand to be correctly ! Storing bins inside bins until required is a great idea ✔️ , didn’t consider that, and if discover any of the future bins are larger than required then swapping them out for smaller ones sounds like a good option 👍 
    lol @ recycling recycling bins 😂 !
    Our annual charge for garden waste is £50 ! Can’t imagine why other councils charge more ? Maybe our grass & shrubs weigh less than others 🙄 !
    🌲 + 🌹 = £50 Essex
    🌲 + 🌹 = £80 elsewhere !  🤔 !
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Here it's a small food caddy which is emptied into the garden waste bin and then I put it out for collection every so often.  The man who cuts my grass takes it away. A garden waste permit is £30 for two and is all year round. 
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 4 September 2023 at 6:36PM
    Options
    Hate to break it to you but the government started discussing a mandatory single consistent policy for all councils earlier this year…..They proposed 6 separate types of recycled waste to be collected (and presumably landfill, food and garden waste to be separated as well!) .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64995473
  • pete289cu
    Options
    👍 That’s great news, and interesting reading, hope it easier for residents to participate in and fair financially too.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    pete289cu said:
    Our annual charge for garden waste is £50 ! Can’t imagine why other councils charge more ? Maybe our grass & shrubs weigh less than others 🙄 !
    🌲 + 🌹 = £50 Essex
    🌲 + 🌹 = £80 elsewhere !  🤔 !
    Ours is £60 but we are central London so have ULEZ, Congestion Charge and inevitably higher salaries to cover. Brown bins are fairly rare around here though with many buildings being flats and therefore having commercial bins not wheelies. 

Prices presumably are based on distances travelled both for collection and disposal, volumes involved and their ultimate use of the compost. Derby for example are free brown bins, they sort the waste in it and then sell it to a composting company. 

Whilst I understand why food waste cannot go in brown bins (mainly due to meat), for those with just balconies etc you should really be ok putting plant waste in the food bins. Guess councils dont want it because of the stricter rules on handling stuffs with meat waste probably makes it more costly.  Doesn't stop the occasional dead flower making their way in ours.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback