Questions about replacing car tyres

Options
dhokes
dhokes Posts: 313 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I recently took my Suzuki Swift for an MOT and I need to replace a tyre soon. I have very little knowledge about them so I had a few questions.

Current tyres:
NSF: 185/55R16 87V
NSR: 185/55R16 83V
OSF: 185/55R16 87V
OSR: 185/55R16 83V

1. Currently, the front tyres support different weight to my back. When it comes to replacing them, should I get the same weight or does it not matter wether I get 87V or 83V as long as they’re the same on the axil?

2. I’m planning to purchase and get them fitted through BlackCircles. Is it standard/expected that they will replace the pressure values or would I need to pay for that? How much should I expect to pay? They’re currently worn out with missing dust caps!

3. Out of these three, which tyres would you pick?

A - YOKOHAMA 185/55R16 87H YOKOHAMA BLUE-A AE50 XL - £100

B - YOKOHAMA 185/55R16 83V YOKO BLUEARTH-ES ES32 - £100

C - Hankook Kinergy 4S 2 185/55 R16 87V- £109

Comments

• tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most tyre places put new rubber valves in unless they're TPMS sensors. And valve caps (can be bought 4 for £1)
  • dhokes
    Options
    tifo said:
    Most tyre places put new rubber valves in unless they're TPMS sensors. And valve caps (can be bought 4 for £1)

I think they're TPMS sensors as my dashboard can show a flat tyre logo but I'm not sure. Is there any way to confirm?
  • CliveOfIndia
    Options
    dhokes said:

Current tyres:
    NSF: 185/55R16 87V
    NSR: 185/55R16 83V
    OSF: 185/55R16 87V
    OSR: 185/55R16 83V

1. Currently, the front tyres support different weight to my back. When it comes to replacing them, should I get the same weight or does it not matter wether I get 87V or 83V as long as they’re the same on the axil?
    Double-check in the owner's handbook as to what tyre specification is supposed to be fitted (which may be different to what's actually fitted currently!).  If the front is supposed to have a weight rating of 87 then you need to replace it with an 87-rated tyre.
    I'm guessing there's no harm in putting on a new tyre that's higher-rated than what it's supposed to be, but you really shouldn't replace it with a lower-rated tyre.

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dhokes said:
    tifo said:

I think they're TPMS sensors as my dashboard can show a flat tyre logo but I'm not sure. Is there any way to confirm?

Suzuki use tyre valve TPMS sensors, and have done on the Swift since 2014.

If you can get the display to show you the actual pressure they are definitely sensors- the Warning display comes on in Winter when the pressure drops in the cold ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,541 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The fitter will replace tyres, valve or sensor and provide a new cap.

Whilst the car may have an advisory for one tyre with autumn winter coming it is worth looking at all tyres and changing any which are low.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I usually have a mooch round the floor whilst they're fitting my tyres and fill my pocket with dust caps for spares...
  • dhokes
    Options
    Great, thanks all. So would I need to pay extra for TPMS sensor values?
  • KXL88
    KXL88 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 September 2023 at 11:21AM
    Options
    Assuming you are replacing all 4 tyres in 1 go or by axle? Please note the Hankooks are all season tyres that you mentioned here, so ideally if you are going with those, do all 4s, else you might have a bit of 'fun' when the weather gets wet and slippery when cold in winter (due to inbalance grip). 

Tyre raining wise, just replace them like for like. If fronts are 87, go for 87, or when in doubt just go for 87. It covers more bases. 

The price you pay usually would include, disposal of old tyres, new tyres on, new valves and balance.
    I'm not sure if the Swift's TPMS is direct or indirect (getting actual readings of pressure or just detecting one wheel is spinning slower than others)

Just take a picture of the rims before they remove the wheel(s). I'm not sure which fitter you are using, but some can be careless / rough with them. 

Incidentally I'm actually going to ATS today, but to rotate my tyres diagonally (and rebalance them). Eg...rear left to front right and vv. So when I return my car in 2 years time, I 'should' have ¬3.5mm all round. Currently at 5.0 - 5.8mms (front - rears) @ 7500 miles. 

Did the MOT indicate which tyre, and how much mm left? Assuming it's 2mm or less.
  • dhokes
    Options
    KXL88 said:
    Assuming you are replacing all 4 tyres in 1 go or by axle? Please note the Hankooks are all season tyres that you mentioned here, so ideally if you are going with those, do all 4s, else you might have a bit of 'fun' when the weather gets wet and slippery when cold in winter (due to inbalance grip). 

Tyre raining wise, just replace them like for like. If fronts are 87, go for 87, or when in doubt just go for 87. It covers more bases. 

The price you pay usually would include, disposal of old tyres, new tyres on, new valves and balance.
    I'm not sure if the Swift's TPMS is direct or indirect (getting actual readings of pressure or just detecting one wheel is spinning slower than others)

Just take a picture of the rims before they remove the wheel(s). I'm not sure which fitter you are using, but some can be careless / rough with them. 

Incidentally I'm actually going to ATS today, but to rotate my tyres diagonally (and rebalance them). Eg...rear left to front right and vv. So when I return my car in 2 years time, I 'should' have ¬3.5mm all round. Currently at 5.0 - 5.8mms (front - rears) @ 7500 miles. 

Did the MOT indicate which tyre, and how much mm left? Assuming it's 2mm or less.

Thanks.

OSR is 4mm but perished/cracking. The two at the front are 3mm and so as I need to do the OSR, I'm thinking of just replacing them all with all weather.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,541 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 September 2023 at 11:53AM
    Options
    If you are looking at all weather tyres have a look at Toyo Celsius.  Fitted them to our Yaris late last year and excellent so far.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback