PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Access obstructed to rented property

Options
I've just signed a contract on a newly refurbished flat. As part of the refurbishment the landlord has been using a skip that is placed across the entrance to the flat. I can squeeze past but am unable to move in due to not enough space to move in my furniture, white goods, etc. I have shared my situation with the renting agency and landlord, and asked if it can be moved ASAP so I can actually move in. Hopefully it will be resolved in a few days, but if there is no action within a week or so do I have a right to refuse payment of rent for those days where I could not obtain unobstructed access?

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When does the contract actually start? 
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    'phone up skip company and get it removed.  It's your property.
  • nb_berenice
    Options
    la531983 said:
    When does the contract actually start? 
    Started 4 days ago. Landlord arranged for whitegoods to be delivered (it is partcially furnished). I had to be there for delivery to take place. The delivery guys had to turnaround since they could not get goods past the skip.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can't withhold rent, but you can argue that you should get money back.
    Is he finished using the skip and just waiting for uplift? If so it shouldn't be too long. 
    Is there no other entrance?
  • nb_berenice
    Options
    pramsay13 said:
    You can't withhold rent, but you can argue that you should get money back.
    Is he finished using the skip and just waiting for uplift? If so it shouldn't be too long. 
    Is there no other entrance?
    Think they finished using skip and just waiting for uplift. No other entrance. Just a bit disappointed as agency/landlord stated it would be ready to move in on that date, and yes we can move in ourselves - just without mattress, seats, fridge, etc. Understood about withold rent.
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    To be fair the skip uplift is out of his hands, they can be notorious slow to pick them up. 
  • bluelad1927
    Options
    la531983 saidi:
    To be fair the skip uplift is out of his hands, they can be notorious slow to pick them up. 
    It's in his hands in respect of him chasing the skip company continuously until they remove
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    la531983 saidi:
    It's in his hands in respect of him chasing the skip company continuously until they remove
    Of course but they are still a law onto themselves in my experience 
  • bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 377 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 27 August 2023 at 3:17PM
    Options
    I would also highlight this as a fire risk. You may be able to squeeze yourself through a gap but if the skip was set on fire which does happen too frequently then your exit could be severely impeded
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    This is your home. I wonder if your landlord would like someone else's skip on their property without permission. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure