Advertised fees

PeterSk
PeterSk Posts: 4
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Hi all, and apologies if I have done this wrong, or placed it in the wrong area, but looking for help on behalf of a friend's issue.

In short, they are looking to buy a static caravan and obviously looked to see what the site fees are.  On their website they advertise their ground rent at £4495 for new sales, but when they went to proceed with the sale the caravan site said their ground rent fees are £5490 saying the lower figure was for their existing customers.  Their site does not say anything about existing customers..  does anyone know if they can do this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,271
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can't help specifically but whenever I run into things like that it makes me wonder what other tricks they might have up their sleeve.  Like doubling in year 2 or claiming it doesn't include XYZ despite what the T&Cs might state?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,607
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I guess the site is not a binding contract - but your friend could point out that their advertising is mis-leading and as such you think they should abide by the price quoted.

They may or may not do so.

It does amaze me about site fees, and the difference between new and existing customers - you'd think the actual cost of providing the services make no difference!
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,620
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I am amazed that people buy static caravans unless they cannot afford brickss and mortar properties in the same areas. You are subject to site fees that you have no input to setting unlike service charges and only hold the ground on licence so can be asked to leave or renew static if deemed to be getting dated. The site might aso be classed as holiday accommodation so only vailable upto 11 months of the year. Here there are static sites very close to the beach but there are also modern purpose buit flats with balconies having sea views to IOW going cheaper. With the statics having a diminishing value the flats are a much better long term long term investtment.
  • Brie said:
    Can't help specifically but whenever I run into things like that it makes me wonder what other tricks they might have up their sleeve.  Like doubling in year 2 or claiming it doesn't include XYZ despite what the T&Cs might state?
    Thanks, and I know exactly what you mean.  The caravan I had years ago was the same, and that's why I quit.  They introduced so many money making ideas it made continuing on site impossible, but in the case of my friend, I have never seen a caravan site advertise one price, and then charge almost 1k extra.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback