We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

A garden restoration project (nothing fancy)

124»

Comments

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,463 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    twopenny said:
    I don't think we will convince her Dusty  :)

    But Rosa, isn't that a Pyracantha?
    Not Hawthorn.

    And I'm with you on holly, can't even clear up old leaves without getting spiked. I hate that with a vengeance!
    I think the above was what you meant, 2p, before perfidious text took over. ;)
    There are some non-prickly hollies, and a few with soft prickles. Then there are rigger gloves, but the odd naughty-word-generating ones can blow where you least expect them. It's God's way of seeing if you are truly saintly. o:)>:)

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 7,776 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 9 September 2023 at 9:19PM
    twopenny said:
    I don't think we will convince her Dusty  :)

    But Rosa, isn't travel Pyrocantha?
    Not Hawthorne.

    And I'm with you on holly, can't even clear up old leaves without getting spiked. I hate that with a vengeance!
    Pyrocanthus did occur to me when I posted the pic and compared to the pic you posted @Dustyevsky ! It hasn't had any flowers but that might be because I trimmed it right back in the spring. 

    What has made life a lot easier for me spike-wise is investing in a pair of these:


    For £5, life is now far less painful!
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

    So much to read, so little time.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    How to prune a Hawthorne to look small and elegant - Monty Dons French Gardens Ep1 @ 45.8min.
    Roof garden of a famous design house I think.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • twopenny said:
    How to prune a Hawthorne to look small and elegant - Monty Dons French Gardens Ep1 @ 45.8min.
    Roof garden of a famous design house I think.

    I will grit my teeth and watch it, for it features on of the two TV personalities I find to be utterly charmless (the other being Noel Fitzpatrick).
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

    So much to read, so little time.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 8,143 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    But I am almost 100% certain that you have a pyracantha there, not a hawthorn. I had one growing against a fence for many years. Evil thorns, glowing berries and creamy flowers. Both the berries & flowers looked great against the dark fence & dark foliage. You can clip it back to a fence so that it 'stays back' rather than a tree shape. I don't remember many / any seedlings 'cos the ground was very hard & dry underneath.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24bags,43dogcoats, 2scrunchies, 10mitts, 6 bootees, 8spec cases, 2 A6notebooks, 59cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones,1 blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420total spend £5.Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

    2024:Sewn:59Doggy ds,52pyramids,18 bags,6spec cases,6lav.bags.
    Knits:6covers,4hats,10mitts,2 bootees.
    Crotchet:61angels, 229cards=453 £158.55profit!!!
    2025 3dduvets
  • Painted fences do look smart but every brushmark becomes evident as it fades, so I would imagine this translates into regular maintenance?


    This is why I used stain on my fence Rose - it won't fade or chip & peel the way paint does (hopefully anyway!!).

  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 3,463 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    edited 19 September 2023 at 11:17AM
    But I am almost 100% certain that you have a pyracantha there, not a hawthorn.
    I'm 101% certain! Good cover on fences and trellis in the winter months, and burglar deterrence comes as a free  extra.

    Never believe anything until it's officially denied.

  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 7,776 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 19 September 2023 at 2:49PM
    The burglar deterrence is the only legitimate reason to retain it IMHO.

    You are right of course, the hawthorn (which I also have) has red rather than orange berries. Both are spikey burgers though.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

    So much to read, so little time.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.