Cruise Cancellation Fees

Options
Hi all,

My self and a friend put down a deposit on a 12 day cruise only 2 weeks ago with P&O. The cruise does not sail until 17th December.

The booking was for a twin room for myself and a mate. However, I have now had a change of heart and don't wish to share and now want a single room. (Reason for this, I just spent 2 days in a twin room with my mate and he snores like hell and I had no sleep whatsoever for 2 whole nights, i'm a light sleeper, he drinks like a fish and this contributes to his snoring !!!). I can't do 12 nights on a cruise in a twin room with him.

The deposit was paid through TUI Travel Agents.

They have informed me that the initial booking will have to be cancelled and then re-booked to be able to move to a single room. The same for my mate also. However, my mate is unsure he wants to go now as the cost for a single room will obviously be more money. 

I'm still happy to go but TUI stated that there will be a £192 cancellation fee if my mate drops out.

I'm shocked that they have stated a cancellation fee, as the price of a single room is almost similar to the cost of the twin room, so it's not as though TUI or P&O are losing out if my mate dropped out, plus, the departure date is a good distance away, it's not as though the departure date is 2 weeks away or even 2 months away.

Please can anyone who has any experience or knowledge provide some advice regards querying the cancellation fee.

Thank you

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    What do their t and c say
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 20 August 2023 at 5:42PM
    Options
    What you think is unfortunately irrelevant, you will have to abide by the Ts and Cs of the booking. 
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 August 2023 at 5:36PM
    Options
    Even on a normal TUI holiday, cancelling before 70 days of departure is loss of full deposit. Can't imagine a P&O cruise booked through TUI is going to be much different. 
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,592 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Earplugs are cheaper than cancelling a booking.

If you have never been on a cruise there are plenty of other noises to disturb sleep so I'd advise them anyway.
  • Englander
    Englander Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    daveyjp said:

If you have never been on a cruise there are plenty of other noises to disturb sleep so I'd advise them anyway.
    Earplugs don't help
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,942 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 August 2023 at 8:01PM
    Options
    I have to agree about the earplugs not being particularly effective. 
    My mother’s snoring is horrendous. If we have to share a room, I do wear earplugs, but it doesn’t keep the noise out particularly well and they’re uncomfortable so I keep waking up because I’ve got a sore ear. Disturbed night’s  sleep either way.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Madatthesystem
    Options
    You you have all my sympathy - my husband snores. On experiences with clear Ts & Cs, I’d say you can’t fight them. Try any way you can, but don’t leave it too long to sort out because it’ll cost more money. Also work out other possible options - take another mate who doesn’t mind snorers / or can share with you while Mr Snorey goes single. Can Mr S do anything about his snoring? Let’s face it, it is his problem - he’s never going to be a good bed / room partner for anyone as he is.
  • ellieellie1955
    Options
    daveyjp said:

Definitely! But maybe that is not the only reason?
  • Jesebel67
    Jesebel67 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Friend has just lost her husband who were due to take cruise in June 24. Went to tui and been told they can't do anything even though she took death certificate can anyone help
  • timjim
    timjim Posts: 91 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your friend should claim on her travel insurance. They should cover it not the cruise company or travel agent, did TUI not explain this?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback