Scam site or not?

2»

Comments

• prettyandfluffy
    prettyandfluffy Forumite Posts: 435
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I recommend buying refurbished direct from Apple.  I've done this with several different items and they have all appeared and performed as new, plus you get direct access to Apple support.  Search for "Apple store U.K. refurbished ".
  • RefluentBeans
    RefluentBeans Forumite Posts: 545
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    user1977 said:
    user1977 said:

Call us:

No land line.... 

I'm not sure that the absence of a "landline" really means much these days. At my work, our "landline" numbers simply divert to our mobiles, and if a business wants a landline-looking number, there are plenty of options without getting their very own copper wires installed.
    Think the argument is that most businesses who deal with externally facing customers will likely have a landline number (unless you’re so big you build online systems to deal with front line customers, like Amazon etc). I think the overwhelming amount of ‘amber’ flags makes it a red flag. 

Two mobile numbers certainly indicates that they're never going to have more than two people answering the phone!

But it's a fairly trivial matter to get a landline contact number for any serious scammer - even easier than acquiring a prestigious London office address.
    I do agree - but those companies don’t want to be associated with scammers and will blacklist customers who do get found to be using the numbers for scamming. With a mobile number, it’s easy enough to get a PAYG sim from a supermarket and if/when it gets deactivated for scamming, just pick up another PAYG sim. 

By no means does a landline number mean no scams, and neither does having a mobile number mean scams; but the latter is definitely a red flag, and with the other signs make it a higher than normal risk.
  • outtatune
    outtatune Forumite Posts: 485
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There's also the possibility that any 'Macbook' you buy from this site will turn out to be a Chinese clone running Windows dropshipped from Aliexpress or Banggood, assuming of course that something actually arrives.
  • jungleboy123
    jungleboy123 Forumite Posts: 43
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I am just like the OP and came across the site. I'm tempted to place an order but via credit card. Do you think that would be a safe option?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Forumite Posts: 34,196
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I'd read the replies on this thread and then decide.

I know what I wouldn't do.
  • user1977
    user1977 Forumite Posts: 12,365
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am just like the OP and came across the site. I'm tempted to place an order but via credit card. Do you think that would be a safe option?
    What's the reason which has drawn you to the site? If it's "because the prices are vastly cheaper than anywhere else" - why do you think that is?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Forumite Posts: 13,394
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you're entirely confident that in the event of problems, you'd receive a full and timely refund, then yes.  The fact that you've searched for threads on them, come here and asked that question suggests you're not entirely confident.  Save yourself the uncertainty and buy from somewhere else.
  • RefluentBeans
    RefluentBeans Forumite Posts: 545
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I personally wouldn’t risk it. Of course, if you want to risk it on your credit card then I’d be keen to hear about your experiences but given S75 claims can take a long time to go through - it may not be worth it. 

Plus like I said, if the business isn’t viable and closes it’s doors, it becomes a lot harder to claim your consumer rights. And if the products aren’t sold as official retailers, there’s a good chance there’s little to no warranty protection. No one likes to think their product would go wrong, but the ‘it won’t happen to me’ mentality leads to issues!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Forumite Posts: 32,361
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 21 August at 7:17PM
    Try their financial statement due out in a few months and then decide.

What are the chances of them being filed late or show zero business?

Googling the owners name brings up some interesting results.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 340.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 448.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 231.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 603.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.6K Life & Family
  • 245.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback