Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe

Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
108 replies 24.7K views

Replies

• FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done, Surfbabe. Now, what do we call 8 papier mache pigs - a herd?

I've only managed to get 1 draft excluder 'sausage' made so far but will get back to that as soon as moved house :)

I've saved the last 2 tomato puree tubes and have them cut open, washed and flattened ready for making some Christmas stars. (Be careful if you use these as the edges are very sharp.)
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
  • tinalivestinalives Forumite
    903 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The pigs are a great idea! :T

Does anyone have any other ideas for useful items that can be made from paper mache - I'm sure there are loads of good ideas, I'm just not very imaginative!

Thanks.
  • tinalivestinalives Forumite
    903 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Also... if anyone has made a cat would they mind posting a picture of it or giving instructions of how they did it?

Thanks.
  • slm6002slm6002 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great thread. I have already started to think what i could make for everyones christmas pressies next year (i know thats sad as only just finished this christmas).
    Me, DD 15, DS 13, DD 10
    Debt Free 04/18
    Single Mum since 11/19
    6.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    All suggestions for new ideas of 'free to make' gifts and free hobbies welcome!

I'm going to practice my photography with digital camera for the next year so I can make personalised calendars for everyone for 2010.

My papier mache banks are all surviving and these are the same ones I made in December 2007, so they make perfectly good gifts. :)
  • Becbec84Becbec84 Forumite
    6 posts
    nykmedia wrote: »
    All suggestions for new ideas of 'free to make' gifts and free hobbies welcome!

I'm going to practice my photography with digital camera for the next year so I can make personalised calendars for everyone for 2010.

My papier mache banks are all surviving and these are the same ones I made in December 2007, so they make perfectly good gifts. :)

:eek: My first post!!
    Just thought i'd share an idea that i had last week and have been working on pretty much every night since. You can download a free programme that will create photo mosaics. (the large photos made of loads of little photos) i'm not allowed to post links but google andrea mosaics and it's the first in the list.
    I chose a photo of me and my partner and used our recent holiday snaps. The result was amazing, it looks so professional. I have since been raiding all my friends photos and am planning to make them for everone at Christmas. There are quite a few photo printing websites that will print a3 posters for around £6. get a cheap frame ans you've got a really thoughful present that pretty much everyone will love.
    I think that if you plan on publishing your work you have to quote andrea mosaics, but all the details are in the terms and conditions.
    Have fun playing around with it!!
    6.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing that, Becbec84, and welcome to MSE. :) Will take a look and see if I can come up with something for my calendars, as all the papers are being made into bricks for the fire this year - no more papier mache pigs have made it into this household so far. :D
  • septemberbluesseptemberblues Forumite
    838 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh have just seen this thread, I am on a seriously tight budget, have opened my tin and spent all the money, and the tin is no good now. I was just thinking how I could have a money box without buying one, and here it is :D, I love this idea and will be making my first money pig today.......................
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2:
    6.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done, Septemberblues! They are fun to make and the freedom to decorate them any way you like, no matter how outrageous or ridiculous, makes it all worthwhile. Phil the Pig, Cash Cow and Penny Penguin are all still going strong :)
  • MellikaMellika Forumite
    506 posts
    ✭✭
    Bumping to add... I used to make these with my brothers when I was little. My mum would put some candy inside after popping the balloon and pulling it out. Then the pot would be sealed and decorated, and when it was full we'd get to open it and find not only money but sweets too. I loved it.
    GC March Wk1 £28.72/£30 Wk2 £28.4/£29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    :jSealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1):j
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support