Aviva and home improvement

MouldyOldDough
MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,779 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 18 August 2023 at 11:56AM in Insurance & life assurance
I informed Aviva that we are getting a home extension in 3 weeks time - expecting to have to pay a small surcharge (I took out a home insurance policy in February)
Result - Aviva tell me that they can no longer cover my home 

"unfortunately this isnt something we can cover under this policy, this does mean you would need to cancel your policy before the renovations start or when you find new cover and take out a policy suited to cover the renovations you are planning, sorry for any inconvenience caused."
There is a £50 fine for daring to cancel my insurance as well !

What company can I get home insurance through ?

Comments

• We are part way through a loft extension and transferred to Admiral part way through the build with no issues
    :eek::eek::eek: LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 years:jDFD April2017
  • So Aviva refuse to cover an extension - is there any reason and is it only the building process that they believe is risky ?
    Will they cover me again - once it is built or do they deem that the whole idea of an extension is risky ?
  • SaverRate
    SaverRate Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    So Aviva refuse to cover an extension - is there any reason and is it only the building process that they believe is risky ?
    Will they cover me again - once it is built or do they deem that the whole idea of an extension is risky ?
    Only Aviva can answer that
    FTB - April 2020 
  • SaverRate said:
    So Aviva refuse to cover an extension - is there any reason and is it only the building process that they believe is risky ?
    Only Aviva can answer that

Aviva Facebook have blocked me from asking them
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Many insurers won't cover a house while major building works are going on due to all sorts of additional risks - the difficulty of keeping it secure while one of the walls has been knocked down, the risk of the builders starting a fire with their equipment etc etc.

There are plenty of survivalist policies which will provide cover during building works - Google "renovation insurance" or similar.

I don't think I've ever been asked by an insurer if my house has been extended so it's not something which is likely to cause any issues getting cover once it's done. You will of course have to factor the extension into the rebuild cost and the number of rooms that you declare in future.
  • I'm cancelling my aviva policy and renewing with ADMIRAL
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure