Timber Composite Door for new front door

Options
Any experience with Timbercompositedoors.com ? Or any recommendations for central Scotland?

I'm getting huge variation in quotes and it's making me nervous. I got a different company, that I will not name, to quote first. They are local-ish in that they do a lot of work in the area (they're Scotland-wide)

First company (nameless): to my shock, came in about £4k for a new front door. It's a fairly standard width (under 1 m) although glass panel above takes it to about 3m in height, but I wasn't expecting anything like that.

This first company quoted £6.5k for both the front and the back door, which is much smaller. I later asked about the advertised discount and they said it had already been applied (which I thought was dodgy - they didn't mention this during the lengthy survey and the cost breakdown didn't make sense). Apparently it would have been £11k for the two doors without the discount! I am sceptical.

For context: the same company did an entire house double glazing and front and back timber composite doors for £11k, I know from a relative nearby.

(Other context: we had solid insulation fitted last winter, took 2 weeks requiring joiners, electrician, plasterer, and cost £5k. I know the materials are a little different, but how can two doors, that can be installed in a single day, cost double that?)

I felt that we were getting a really inflated price for some reason, and they were advertising a supposed discount that was meaningless for non-standardised pricing.

Timbercompositedoors, on the other hand, sent a quote for the front door that comes in under £2k, including VAT, survey and fitting. Door design looks identical to the one from the first company. They require £60 deposit for the measurement survey - which I don't mind, would rather pay for their time than get the hard sales pitch. Then you pay half up front while they custom-make your door, then pay the other half after installation. Is that normal?

Have to say, both the product range and the website door designer tool look identical, and fairly standard to a range of suppliers.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback