Confused with this

Options
inniskilling
inniskilling Posts: 4 Newbie
First Post
edited 17 August 2023 at 12:25PM in Cutting tax
I am an Ex-Pat Living in Germany, I have never had to do a Tax return for the UK and i have to do a Tax return for 2022 for the UK.
I cashed in a UK Pension Fund and Paid Emergency Tax on it, i am totaly lost on what i am doing as it all seems very complicated 

I do not pay UK Income Tax as i dont work there

So here is my Problem, where do i put in my Income, normal Working Payment (not interest or Dividends) which has already been Taxed by the German Goverment? i have printed off 106 and the Tax return forms as i wish to send the Paper form

The helpline is off untill Sept 4th so no help there..

Talk about complicated is an Understatement 

Any help would be very much Appreciated

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    Why do you now need to complete a (Self Assessment) tax return?

You may well need to but you haven't provided a valid reason for this yet.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cashed in a UK Pension Fund and Paid Emergency Tax on it, i am totaly lost on what i am doing as it all seems very complicated 
    UK pension funds are split between 25% tax free and 75% subject to income tax.   So, when you did the UFPLS transaction, 75% of the value went through payroll and was taxed on PAYE basis.   It would use month one basis, which is often referred to as emergency tax and that nearly always results in more tax being taken than should have been.

So here is my Problem, where do i put in my Income, normal Working Payment (not interest or Dividends) which has already been Taxed by the German Goverment? i have printed off 106 and the Tax return forms as i wish to send the Paper form
    As a non-resident, you declare it your German tax return in most cases.  There are some scenarios where a non-resident would have to complete a UK tax return.   Why do you think you need to?

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have HMRC told you that you need to complete a self assessment tax return?

Can you not claim using the form R43?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-personal-allowances-and-tax-refunds-if-you-live-abroad
  • inniskilling
    Options
    The reason is i have paid too much Tax
    If i do it on my German Tax return i will be Taxed again, even though double Taxation isnt allowed.

The Germans are not going to pay me any Tax back that i have paid in the UK 

I will have a look at the Form R43

Thanks for your replys

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If i do it on my German Tax return i will be Taxed again, even though double Taxation isnt allowed.

Thanks for your replys

I think the point being made generally, is that for many UK tax issues it is not necessary to fill in a tax return. A simple form or a phone call can be enough.
  • inniskilling
    Options

Thanks for your replys

I think the point being made generally, is that for many UK tax issues it is not necessary to fill in a tax return. A simple form or a phone call can be enough.
    Right ok so i should give HMRC a call first and find out my Options, its just the Company i had my Payout from said i should do a Tax return to get a refund, i did believe i had to do a self Assessment and now it would seem i dont have to.

I am now looking at the form R43 and reading through that and hopefully i will be able to make sense of it

Thank you everyone for all of your Responses and it has been a help 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
     its just the Company i had my Payout from said i should do a Tax return to get a refund

It is a common misconception and many staff at pension companies are not that on the ball either.

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    Have you got as far as registering for Self Assessment and being issued with a notice to file a return?
  • inniskilling
    Options
    Have you got as far as registering for Self Assessment and being issued with a notice to file a return?
    I cant Register as i dont have a Current UK License but i have found out that i dont need to do a self Assessment but an R43 which i will fill out and send to the HRMC 

Thanks again for all of your comments
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure