Redundancy Question around timings

Options
Hello, 

The company that I worked for shut up shop in July, and they brought in the liquidators.

I have checked on the relevant .gov website (https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-if-your-employer-is-insolvent/your-rights) and it list of a number of things I can apply to the government for. In my case, I believe I would be entitled to 

- a redundancy payment
- unpaid wage for July 
- unused holiday pay 
- money I would have earned working my notice period.. 

The site says that you can apply to the Government's Redundancy Service as soon as you've been made redundant, however you need a CN Reference Number. I still had not received any correspondence for the liquidators as of last week, so I asked my (previous) employer who they were and contacted them directly. 

They informed me that although the process has started, they company hasn't been liquidated yet, and it could take a month for that to happen, and until that happens I can't get a CN number, and so can't apply to the redundancy service. 

I am not sure therefore where that leaves me? Does that mean that I haven't officially been made redundant yet? (I haven't received a P45 or anything). Also, how does that effect things like loss of notice compensation, when I don't know when I was made redundant? Technically I was aware that I was going to be made redundant when they said they were bringing the liquidators in, so is that the date it would be worked out from? 

Sorry, not been through this before so all new to me.. 

Comments

• Shalinap
    Options
    Good afternoon, 

Have you called the revenue to discuss this, there have been instances where a CN isn't necessarily required particularly if there are complications with the business going liquidations (large outstanding creditor agreements, etc. )

I would giv them call to discuss 
  • Robster88
    Robster88 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Shalinap. I haven’t contacted them yet no, I will give them a try. 

The main cause for concern is that my understating (based on the online guidance) was that I could apply to the redundancy service as soon as I was made redundant. 

I haven’t been paid since June, and stopped working for the company since I was told they were going into liquidation mid July, however as the company still officially hasn’t been liquidated I don’t have a CN and so can’t claim anything. I also haven’t got anything such as a P45 so don’t really know where I stand. 

I know it probably doesn’t matter in the long run, as I’m sure things will work themselves out eventually, however it would give me peace of mind to know where I stand, as well as being useful getting the money sooner rather than later (after all that’s the point of redundancy money surely!). 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback