How far back can bank charge claims realistically go back?

Options
Hi, have only just recently realised that I may actually have been put into hardship years ago due to ongoing back charges after "reminiscing" about my younger years with friends. The MSE site says 6 years is the statute of limitation, but people have had success for older claims. Mine would be much further than 6 years though!

So, wondering what my chances would be now... 

Here's the details:

• I'm now 41.
  • When I was 18 (year 2000) Halifax offered me a credit card in store (accosted by a person with a clip-board) as I went in to pay a bill or something.
  • I told them my salary as part of their questionnaire, and was asked if i ever do overtime. I said yes some. The person then said "so let's say you earn xxx" - I can't remember the figures but it was somewhat more than my actual salary (I remember it being about 50% more). No actual checks whatsoever, didn't need to show any pay slips.
  • I got in to a lot of debt (mostly credit cards) over the subsequent years, and it's only in the last few years I've really managed to get it down (was over £40k in personal debt at one stage). I'm under no disillusion I could have been more responsible with money, but I was young and dumb, poor financial literacy etc at the time.
  • I remember years ago (2000-2010 maybe) a cycle of charges due to either unpaid direct debits or bounced payments. Sometimes I'd be double charged - the bank would pay a bill, charging me for unarranged overdraft, bounce the payment back and then charge me for that too!!
  • Some months were £150+ just in charges. 
  • Had current accounts with both Halifax and TSB which both charged me £100+ a month in fees most months at one point.

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    Options
    In effect, not at all  

If you're in current hardship, your bank may offer a range of solutions, which could include suspension of fees or interest.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, wondering what my chances would be now... 
    Guessing what banks will do is hard as they will sometimes roll over on cases they shouldn't and dig their heels in on cases they should pay out.

However, in the vast majority of cases where banks do refund something, it tends to be up to the last 12 months.

In extreme cases, they have gone back multiple years but they are the exception rather than the norm. 

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lincoln_dj
    Options
    In effect, not at all  

If you're in current hardship, your bank may offer a range of solutions, which could include suspension of fees or interest.
    Nah I'm all good now to be honest. Thought it would be a long-shot!
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,525 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Plus you're admitting to application fraud, even if encouraged by the staff member you ultimately signed the declaration that it was true
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback