Pip and fearing the use of it

Options
Hi 

I know pip don't check what you use the money for but I have used it on taxis expwially during the heavy downpoirs as rain can affect my implant and if it's a heavy down pour it could be a risk of soaking through my coat and hat. 
Also it covers the cost of fuel when my husband drives me to places too. 

I am worried that one day they will look into what I use.it for like when I do next pip review. My last one I didn't have to do phonecall as I am deaf and also didn't have to do face to face. 

Is it normal to be like this. 
Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

Comments

• peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PIP is aimed at giving you the funds for the extras needed to overcome your disability.  So even if they did ask (and they don’t) using it for taxi’s and petrol I would  suggest is what it’s designed for.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • Auti
    Auti Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You are fine - they don’t ask and as long as the extra money benefits you (and that includes paying for a friend/partner to accompany you to whatever gives you pleasure) that is ok and exactly what it is for. It helps towards travel, food/item home deliveries, more heating, water etc that you might use, anything sensory eg new batteries in visual doorbell, in fact whatever you need and to be fair once it hits your bank account and mixes with any other money in it no one cares. It is meant to be used so saving for a holiday/ high value item/ adaptations within a year should be fine but saving the pip for years probably not as it is meant to help you.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 August 2023 at 10:30AM
    Options
    My wife has had DLA and now PIP for many years.

No-one has ever asked what she uses the money for. Not the DWP, nor the Council for Blue Badge application, nor anyone else.  

(We may have effectively volunteered that we have purchased items with the money - mobility scooter, hoist in car, stairlift, grab rails and other aids in the forms used when being assessed / re-assessed for PIP in that we state she uses those things).

There's nothing to stop you saving the money from PIP if you wish.  It's yours to do with as you wish.

We'll often pay for stuff out of the joint account rather than using her account PIP goes into so it does build up in our case.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,782 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 August 2023 at 10:57AM
    Options
    Try not to worry...

They won't look at the spending.

If there ever did then actually the money is being spent on what is classically considered the sorts of extra costs associated with disability that justify the existence of such a benefit.

It's your money... use as you see fit.

Is it normal to have thoughts as you do... probably not normal but probably not uncommon among PIP claimants who have issues with anxiety and I'm sure time to time I've wondered what my spending would look like to someone at the DWP but typically in regards to deprivation of capital (such as buying expensive PC for my wife) which isn't relevant to PIP as not means tested.

So can only repeat... try not to worry... 
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,988 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've been claiming PIP for 10 years and have never been asked what i spend it on because they are not interested in that at all. It's your money you can spend it on anything you want.
  • Chablar
    Chablar Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't worry. My wife has had PIP for years, DLA before that and she's never been asked. Even if they did those seem like perfectly reasonable things. To be fair even if it went into your leisure of household bills they would be reasonable things for you to spend your money on. 

• late_white_rabbit
    late_white_rabbit Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 August 2023 at 10:52PM
    Options
    they are not interested, they dont have the time, money, staff, resources, etc to look into it. Transport cost is a disability need. So too are things like cost of postage and packing on delivery of items to your home, and sending them back. Is it normal to think the way you do? yes, considering PIP is so hard to get in the first place, and that the people on PIP have physical, mental, developmental, etc medical conditions, yes,  its perfectly normal for someone to think this, I used it for a while to pay for a counsellor type therapist, as the NHS would not provide me with one, despite me having diagnosed mental illness, and I thought the same at one stage, but the therapist viewed treatment for a medical condition as perfectly legitimate thing to be using PIP/DLA on.   
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I’ve been dealing with PiP for my friend for 10 years now.
    They do not have a bank account, so money went into post office account and cash was withdrawn.
    Beyond that they would never know where it went.
    As others have said they have never been interested in what you do with your money after you receive it.
    My friend lives around London and gets 8 Taxi rides a month 96 a year for £3.80 Contribution.

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/taxicard/apply-taxicard-your-borough

• FindMyWayBack
    FindMyWayBack Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have never known it to be questioned.
    I read with interest that the Govt/whoever have become aware that many people are having to use their PIP to meet a shortfall of rent.
    Most people have to meet huge shortfalls with other benefits.

Old enough to know better...........

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure