Touring the NC500 Scottish Highlands - any hints and tips?

Options
Hi
Can anyone help me with planning this trip please? I’m hoping to go next July and stay in B&B, Guest Houses and/or Hotels. 

Please let me know your “what not to miss” opportunities/photos/places are. 

Ideas for where to eat in the evenings would be helpful as not all B&Bs do evening meals. 

Not sure whether to include Skye, however I would like to see the Glenfinnan viaduct. 

Any hints and tips gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Andrea

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 August 2023 at 4:41PM
    Options
    The NC500 is 516 miles long.

Do an internet search for NC500 which will bring up several hits with information.

What you visit and where you eat will depend on where you stop overnight.

First you need to plan your journey- list where you want to go and see the plan your route.  Do you want scenery, or beaches, or historic sites? 

Then you can decide where you will stop. 

Eating in the evening is likely to be local pub if staying in B&B. Hotels will usually have evening meals available. 

Dining often ceases around 8.30pm. 

Make sure you regularly check your fuel as fuel stations can be a long way apart.

the Glenfinnan Viaduct and Centre get very busy so you need to plan to get there early.

Much of the road is single track so brush up on using single track roads, using passing places for passing only, not for sight seeing or picnics- yes it happens-  and  pulling in to allow faster traffic to pass.  Be prepared to reverse to a passing place if necessary.  That traffic may be someone going about their daily business.

Enjoy your trip.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 August 2023 at 4:13PM
    Options
    Bought one of these guides last year for a nostalgic trip to Scotland and found it really useful with plenty of helpful detail and itinerary suggestions https://www.secret-scotland.com/scotlandtours/north-coast-500
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,528 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 13 August 2023 at 7:01PM
    Options
    Unless you have plenty of time (4-6 weeks minimum) don't try and do it all in one trip.  You'll do 500 miles and see nothing but the roads in between your stopping points.

If you want to see Glenfinnan start in Fort William and make your own route up which can include the ferry to Skye and Bridge back to Kyle, then up the north west coast to Ullapool or beyond.  You will see the best of the NC500 route.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 December 2023 at 10:35PM
    Options
    You can watch lots of videos on YouTube which will show you how hairy some of the roads are and give you an idea how much of the time you will be reversing for passing places. You will also see some fantastic scenery and historic places, which will make a shortlist easier to compile.

If going up the East coast first, Wick has a decent Tesco.

You can fly to Wick and hire a car. Thurso has a Premier Inn.

In summer you will need midge repellent, maybe even midge head nets if you want to go walking. www.smidgeup.com has a midge forecast on its website. You can buy Smidge from the website, on Amazon or from outdoor shops.
  • johnswife
    johnswife Posts: 1,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Book your B&B’s early. My husband cycled the NC500 early part of May 2022 and started to book places September 2021. Some did not have availability. He would like to go back and drive to spend more time, he said the scenery was spectacular.
    Necklace, £500, Marquee, Tickets Home Improv show, Patternity Tights.tickets to Cruise Show,kindle cover, 2 tickets Brisfest. Tin of personalised chocolates.Hawking DVD, McCain voucher, clay modelling set,Chocolate, Book,Raleigh 125th Book.
    tickets to Gadget show, Hotel Spa break for 2 + £300
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure