PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Planning permission granted in 2015

The house I am in the process of buying had planning permission for a driveway and crossover approved in 2015.

The owners at the time did not go through with the work. However, it is something I would like to do. Do we have to go through planning permission again? 

Comments

• CSI_Yorkshire
    CSI_Yorkshire Forumite Posts: 1,792
    1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Planning permission normally lasts for three years.
  • molerat
    molerat Forumite Posts: 30,502
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You need to re apply with a full application up to current standards.  There is no guarantee that your application will be successful though as council policy may have changed.
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Forumite Posts: 909
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ftb_deena said:
    The house I am in the process of buying had planning permission for a driveway and crossover approved in 2015.

The owners at the time did not go through with the work. However, it is something I would like to do. Do we have to go through planning permission again? 
    It depends - did they do any initial work in the drive? If so, you may not have to. But if you are having a permeable drive then you may not need to apply for PP again. Was the PP for a dropped curb? If so, it is only valid for a year
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • Section62
    Section62 Forumite Posts: 6,840
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ftb_deena said:

It depends - did they do any initial work in the drive? If so, you may not have to. But if you are having a permeable drive then you may not need to apply for PP again. Was the PP for a dropped curb? If so, it is only valid for a year
    Its' a good point about whether any work has started, but strictly speaking the time limit for commencing work is whatever (if anything) is set out in the consent notice.  Three years is a standard figure, but the LPA can vary that on a case-by-case basis according to their own policy.  The consent notice needs to be checked for details.

Permeable driveways being permitted development only applies to the driveway itself.  If planning consent was needed because the work involved creating a new access onto a classified road then a new consent may still be required.

The dropped kerb/crossover, which is usually on highway land, doesn't require householder planning consent - the highway authority have the powers to do this work or agree to someone else doing it.  The householder usually has to apply to the highway authority for permission for a crossover - but this isn't the same as planning consent.  How long that permission is valid for varies between highway authorities - if they are quoting to do the work themselves it may be a fairly short period of time, or in other cases there may be no time limit.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback