Changes to Power of Attorney

Options
Hi, my Mum and Dad wanted my brother and myself as Power of Attorney, this was discussed with their solicitor, however our circumstances started to change and we asked for the solicitor to put it on hold for the time being, to cut a long story short my brother passed away and my Dad passed 7 months later, that will be 2 years next March. My Mum and myself and family are slowing coming to terms with this now. My Mum has now received a letter from the solicitor who is chasing for payment, I'm not sure where we go with this as our circumstances have changed? They are reluctant to tell us how much it is and have more or less demanded a meeting to discuss, they have also said that I wouldn't be able to attend the meeting? 

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Avenger2 said:
    Hi, my Mum and Dad wanted my brother and myself as Power of Attorney, this was discussed with their solicitor, however our circumstances started to change and we asked for the solicitor to put it on hold for the time being, to cut a long story short my brother passed away and my Dad passed 7 months later, that will be 2 years next March. My Mum and myself and family are slowing coming to terms with this now. My Mum has now received a letter from the solicitor who is chasing for payment, I'm not sure where we go with this as our circumstances have changed? They are reluctant to tell us how much it is and have more or less demanded a meeting to discuss, they have also said that I wouldn't be able to attend the meeting? 
    It is too late now but probably worth knowing that it is reasonably easy to set up a Pof A yourself online and much cheaper.

Anyway I assume the solicitor did some preparatory work a couple of years ago and wants to close things off and get paid. Wanting to see your Mum in private is I think common practice to make sure she is not being coerced into anything

Are you still planning to get Pof A for your Mum, it is usually a good idea to get one in place?
  • Avenger2
    Avenger2 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Albermarle, agreed we need to get P of A sorted, my brother took the lead on this originally, so I'm sort of picking up the pieces now. hopefully we'll get it put to bed tomorrow, I'm just concerned how much its going to cost. thanks for your response. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback