Financial settlement cost?

Options
I’m trying to understand roughly how much should a financial settlement cost via solicitors for divorce? 

I’ve recently had a quote through for between £5k-£10k is this reasonable? 

this would include assistance with Form E, negotiations and submission of consent order. 

TIA 

Comments

• jlfrs01
    jlfrs01 Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds right to me for everything including Court Fees minus the negotiations though.

If at all possible, I would recommend you negotiate the financial settlement (including division of assets, cash, child and spousal maintenance if applicable) with your ex before appointing a Solicitor because it's this area where costs can really go through the roof and turn a £5k or £10k Divorce into a £25k-£35k one, particularly if it gets acrimonious.

The Government website has some very helpful guidance on how the Law views the division of assets which basically starts at a 50:50 split. If children are involved there is an online calculator for working out child maintenance figures.

I've been here twice myself and it is incredibly easy to spend a great deal of money for relatively modest gains. 
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I’m trying to understand roughly how much should a financial settlement cost via solicitors for divorce? 

I’ve recently had a quote through for between £5k-£10k is this reasonable? 

this would include assistance with Form E, negotiations and submission of consent order. 

TIA 
    Probably sounds about right (or maybe a little on the low side) on the assumption it doesn't become contested and go to a court hearing. If you have to go through the entire court process (3 separate hearings) to get a resolution you can double or triple that estimate. 

My legal costs were about £15k ish (maybe a little more) and I did a lot of the work myself and we settled at the second hearing. Also bear in mind that for example if you wanted a barrister to represent you in court that would be a few k extra. 

Also be aware that it's very easy to escalate legal costs if you interact with them regularly, ask lots of questions, get them to do things you could do yourself, etc 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback