Do you think I need to change my bank account?

My creditors are barclaycard, MBNA, Virgin and PayPal. I’m hoping to start a DMP and my bank account is Halifax. Do you think I need to switch this? Thankyou 

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,805 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yes you do, MBNA are owned by Lloyds banking group, who also own the Halifax.

Try Monzo or the Coop, there are others as well.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Oh thanks for that. I have a Starling account, I’ll have my wages directed to that account instead. My mortgage is with Halifax, will that be an issue? 
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    The mainreason for changing bank is to avoid the right of set-off, which allows a creditor to pay itself from any savings you may have.

A secondary reason may be to avoid a creditor knowing more about your circumstances than you care to reveal.

The mortgage isn't a problem
  • Thankyou fatbelly. At present I have a bank of Scotland account and my wages are paid into this account. My husband and I also had a joint Hank of Scotland account. We each transfer an equal amount into the joint account each month and all our priority debts come off the joint account by DD, mortgage, insurances, tv licence etc. I have a spare starling account so I will contact my employer and have my wages redirected here but could my creditors still take money from the joint account we have? 
  • fatbelly
    It's a theoretical right, not much used. 

But it's easier to prevent it being used than argue it afterwards

Yes a joint account would qualify

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/setting-off/
  • Thankyou, I actually came across this 
  • fatbelly
    As usual stepchange have arrived at a hopeful interpretation of the guidance under BCOBS 5.1.3

Prevention is better than cure
  • hagler
    hagler Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi everyone, just wondering if the op opens a new account using the banking switch can the old bank right of offset any money they are redirecting to the new account as sometimes can take a few weeks for employers to change bank details or will any redirected money also be safe once the switch goes through
  • fatbelly
    They would be safe once the switch goes through.

In practice it doesn't happen quickly and i've never seen it happen between mbna and halifax
  • freshstart2023
    freshstart2023 Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 August 2023 at 3:19PM
    My bank account is with bank of Scotland. Mortgage is with Halifax. My mistake in initial post. 

This is probably a silly question but how do they actually offset? At what point can they intercept the funds? For example if I was to have my wages paid into the Starling account and transferred money from the Starling account into my bank of Scotland account, can they intercept it before it even hits the account? How does it actually work? I’m just curious. Thankyou 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback