NOW LIVE: The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. The theme is ENERGY. Please post your questions on bills, switches, alternative fuels etc. Our expert MSE Andrew will answer as many as possible

Single occupant deduction advice


I am looking for some advice please. I own my own home and have lived here alone for the last 6 years. My Father unexpectedly died last November and I stayed at my mum and dad's house (same area) for around one month to support my mum. 

It was evident that my mum was struggling and as a result I agreed that she could temporarily stay with me at my house whilst we got her house sorted out (heating needed to be replaced and house needs more work). 

Things have unfortunately deteriorated and it appears that my mum is not only struggling with grief but also undergoing cognitive testing for possible dementia. 

She pays council tax on her own property (also has single occupant deduction since my father's death) and I also still have single occupant deduction on my property as I was living alone. 

I was hoping the situation would be temporary but she has been here for a number of months. During this period she has spent odd nights at her own property but is predominantly here and will be until we know what is wrong and what type of support she requires. 

Bills for my mother's property are in her name and bills for my property are in my name. As her property is her residence, where her mail goes and as she intends to return (albeit this is currently delayed) I have not reported any changes in terms of council tax but I am unclear if this needs to be reported. 

Does anyone know where we stand with this? Would I be expected to pay full council tax on my property and my mum pay full council tax on hers? She visits her own property daily and when I look online it is not clear.  

Thank you for any advice. 


  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Forumite Posts: 7,037
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    As long as your mum continues to be responsible for and pay council tax at her own property that is where she is counted, at your house she is just a guest so your 25% still applies
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Kate0286
    Kate0286 Forumite Posts: 15
    10 Posts
    Thanks for your response. She will continue to pay council tax and all bills on her property and will hopefully return at some point in the near future. 
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards