Upsizing and adding partner to mortgage

Hi 👋

I solely "own" a house worth £240k and have £120k and 25 years remaining on the mortgage. I live with my girlfriend but she is not on the mortgage, she just pays me "rent" each month.

We are looking at moving to a larger home worth 400k and want to:

– Port my existing mortgage, not borrowing any more.
– Pay the £160k difference in cash.
– Add my girlfriend to the mortgage.

Is this possible? And what complications may arise from such a scenario? 

Thank you!


  • Emmia
    Emmia Forumite Posts: 2,259
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 August at 11:37AM
    If your girlfriend is paying rent - she's probably already got a beneficial interest in your existing property, so if you split up she has a claim over some of the value. How long have you had this arrangement?

    The best way is probably to contact your existing lender to find out what their process is - you may need to do a fresh application, so they can assess both of you.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Forumite Posts: 1,396
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 8 August at 5:11PM
    If you  are not getting married then you need to enter a deed of trust to protect your deposit on the next property. It would depend on the length of your relationship as to whether she already as a beneficial interest. You call it rent as though she is a lodger which is fine if her money contributes to utilities and food bills rather than mortgage and ongoing maintenance
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Forumite Posts: 38,313
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    You are simply applying for a new joint mortgage and porting the terms from the old one. You can't transfer a mortgage from one property to another; so when you sell, the old mortgage is repaid and when you buy, the new mortgage starts.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • bigstevex
    bigstevex Forumite Posts: 906
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The answer to this is as kingstreet says however, please have a deed of trust to protect each others interest in the property if it's imbalanced as you don't say if the 160K is coming from your girlfriend or yourself/mix.  Too many relationships end without one in place because at the time of purchase you're in love and happy and then when you part ways it becomes a legal battle and spoken agreements mean nothing that aren't on paper...  A solicitor should advise you of all this anyway as part of the purchase.
  • hedgeflapjacks
    hedgeflapjacks Forumite Posts: 3
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you all for your comments. I understand it better now, especially thanks to kingstreet's description of what actually happens when moving+porting.

    And thank you for warnings about not having a deed of trust. The 160k cash is coming from my girlfriend and the ~120k from the sale of my current house is coming from me, so there is a difference there. I'll be sure to talk this through with her, and as you say, solicitors will likely flag this when we get into it.

    Thank you all!
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards