Replacing pipes?

Options
I've got a three storey demi detached 120 square metre house

I've been quoted around £4K to upgrade all my pipes from 10mm to 28mm where possible

I live in the north west. Is this a normal price? 

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'm assuming this is for your central heating system, and you are planning on installing a heat pump at some point.
    Having recently replumbed my heating system, partly to reduce the amount of pipework, and with an eye on a future HP, it is a surprising amount of work. I also used a lot more copper pipe than I was expecting..
    £4K isn't totally unreasonable - As always, get a couple more quotes.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 August 2023 at 10:11AM
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    I'm assuming this is for your central heating system, and you are planning on installing a heat pump at some point.
    Having recently replumbed my heating system, partly to reduce the amount of pipework, and with an eye on a future HP, it is a surprising amount of work. I also used a lot more copper pipe than I was expecting..
    It is indeed for a future HP. Realistically, I probably don't *need* 28mm however I've only got 10mm microbore popes so I figure there's not much of a cost difference between 22 and 28mm piping if I have to repipe anyway

I'll want to get Jaga Strada radiators too but that's not in this quote 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    It is indeed for a future HP. Realistically, I probably don't *need* 28mm however I've only got 10mm microbore popes so I figure there's not much of a cost difference between 22 and 28mm piping if I have to repipe anyway
    Most of your cost will be labour, so the difference in price of the copper pipe won't make that much difference.
    I went 22mm for the main feed/return and 15mm for the final connection to the radiators and kept the total distance to a minimum.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    FreeBear said:
    Most of your cost will be labour, so the difference in price of the copper pipe won't make that much difference.
    I went 22mm for the main feed/return and 15mm for the final connection to the radiators and kept the total distance to a minimum.
    Thanks. I did think most of it was labour given the cost of copper is expensive but not *that* expensive 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback